New Forester burning smell?

Hi, I have only had my new 2006 Forester (5 spd) for a few days. Granted I am still getting used to the shifting as it's different than my old Honda, but is it normal to have a strong burning smell when I put it in reverse? This has happened twice and was a bit alarming. Is this just part of the break-in process (currently have only 40 miles on it) or is it something I need to discuss with the dealer?

-Yngver

Reply to
yngver

Are you slipping the clutch excessively? Overheated clutch lining has a fairly characteristic "burned" odor. Even if this is the case, I can't imagine why it would occur only in reverse, if anything due to the shorter durations/lower speeds and low gear involved in reverse, I'd expect it to be less not more than any clutch overheating while going forward. Hard to imagine there's a situation in the trans where it is actually overheating during the brief period the car is typically in reverse, at least not without other symptoms like noise, vibration, then failure. I guess the other possibility is something in the reverse light circuit is overheating electrically. If that's the case I'd expect a blown fuse, which would presumably end the overheating. Put the car in reverse while sitting still & see if you get the smell & if the backup lights come on. As an aside, my wife's 2006 Impreza wagon w/automatic produces a fairly strong burning smell outside the car after it is driven awhile then parked. I had it in to the dealer for an unrelated warranty issue (leaking tail light lens) & they said the smell was due to an excess of cosmoline (a rust inhibiting coating) on a portion of the exhaust. Conceivably true, I plan to check it myself if it doesn't diminish soon.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

All new cars smell for while as the paint and various other stuff burns off the exhaust, cat, clutch and brakes bedding in etc. Maybe you're reversing back into the toxic cloud you're trailing behind you?

-C-

Reply to
Clive

Well, I guess I could be slipping the clutch; I don't know. It occurred after I had some trouble getting it into reverse. I haven't noticed it when shifting into reverse was easy. And I'm not talking about going very far in reverse; just backing out of the garage or out of a parking space. Both times I was sure it was in reverse, but the car wouldn't move so I had to try it again a couple times. Maybe I do need to have the dealer look at it because I've never had other cars give off a great odor just because it took a couple tries to get it in reverse--and I've been driving manual transmissions most of my life. I guess it could be the cosmoline too but I only smelled it these two times when backing up and it quickly dissipated.

Thanks, I will have my husband take a look at the backup lights when I put it in reverse, just to check that possibility.

-Yngver

Reply to
yngver

Maybe. I hope that's all it is, just various stuff burning off the clutch and transmission. I suspect that's what the dealer will tell me.

-Yngver

Reply to
yngver

My clutch stinks MUCH worse than any other stick shift I've owned if Islip the clutch. I have to back UPwards outta my drive and I've had to train myself to 'dump and pray' to avoid the stench. probably modern clutches have no asbestos and the newer material just smells worse - I dunno.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I've only had Hondas before this--maybe Subarus just have really stinky clutches then? I haven't noticed it with my husband's five year old Legacy but if I had when it was new, I guess I would have assumed it was due to his aggressive driving habits. His clutch doesn't produce an odor now, but it's his second one and well broken in. Thanks for the info.

-Yngver

Reply to
yngver

Are you sure you're just not smelling it in reverse due to different airflow patterns?

My '01 OBW and my '05 Tacoma were the stinkiest vehicles I've ever noticed when new. They smelled so bad, you'd swear they painted the muffler. The smells were what I would compare to burning fluids & plastics, so I'm guessing they were assembly lubes and sealers.

Neither vehicle had a noticeable smell from inside when moving or stopped, but it was strong when I backed up or stood outside and nearby when the car was hot. Others even commented on the smells when standing next to the hot vehicles at mountain bike trail heads. The smells quickly went away by about 250 miles.

Just a thought, since you've only got 40 miles...

Reply to
Bonehenge

Thanks. Now I have 90 miles, and I haven't notice the burning smell since those first two episodes. Either I am getting used to the clutch and getting it into reverse, or the new car lubes and oils and other stuff is starting to dissipate.

Now if I just knew how seriously to take what it says in the owner's manual. Don't drive too long in a snowstorm because snow might get into the engine? Don't drive with the moonroof fully open because it might not be safe? And the one about how other keys on your keychain might pull your key into an "undesired" position in the ignition switch? Sheesh.

-Yngver

Reply to
yngver

On 2006-02-23, yngver penned:

Say what now?

Reply to
Monique Y. Mudama

Probably put those directions into the same category as "do not use this hairdryer in the shower" or similar lawsuit avoiders. Dave

Reply to
Coggo

Remember where those statements come from...

Reply to
B a r r y

I just got an 06 wrx and noticed the same smell for the first ~150 miles or so. Don't be alarmed.

Reply to
06rexwagon

Thanks. I have about 250 miles on the Forester now and I haven't noticed that burning smell since the first couple occasions. But I am more accustomed to the clutch now too.

Reply to
yngver