Coolant

I own a 98 Lexus SC400. It has the red Lexus coolant. Does anybody know if it's O.K. to flush and refill with the regular old Prestone green stuff?

Reply to
Ivy

In news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, Ivy being of bellicose mind posted:

I vote for staying with the OEM Toyota/Lexus forumula coolant. This a different ... but don't ask me recall what that specific difference is.

Reply to
Philip®

It's just a dye. Every maker has their own color...and they are all ethylene glycol based...except for the new lower puppy toxicity/less tasty propylene glycol based antifreezes. In any case, I think those can be safely used interchangeably, anyway. Used to be that the anti-corrosion packages of some antifreezes were bad for aluminum engines, but I think that changed LONG ago. Read the container warning label.

Reply to
GRL

Use the green stuff. It is a dye, but supposed to contain more additives. Just don't use the Dex-Cool stuff.

Reply to
T0ked

In news:_vRxb.20733$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net, Philip® being of bellicose mind posted:

Page 1 of 1 Toyota TSB: PG010-02 Title: ENGINE COOLANT COLOR CHANGE Models: '02 Japan Built 4Runner, Camry, Celica, Corolla, ECHO, Land Cruiser, MR2 Spyder, Prius, RAV4 & '03 Corolla Technical Service BULLETIN March 22, 2002 A new pink colored LLC is being phased into production for all 2002 Japan Built Toyota models. The color change does not affect the maintenance procedures or intervals established for the red coolant. The new pink coolant is

100% compatible with the current red coolant and red coolant can be used to replace, top off, or mix in with the pink coolant with no adverse effects.

(unfortunately, no compatibility with green is either approved or prohibited) Call you dealer to be SURE.

Reply to
Philip®

I believe it is ethylene glycol so you can use the "regular old Prestone green stuff." If you decide to go with one of the Dexcool super-long-life types, you do need to do a very complete flush. Some folks don't like the new stuff, but after careful flushing (draining and filling at least three times), I've had no issues on several vehicles.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

The issue isn't color but the anti-corrosion chemicals in the coolant. If there's not a great price difference, I'd stay with Toyota. After all, the difference is amortized over the two year change cycle. FYI, I had the local Toyota dealer change the coolant in my 2002 Highlander (6cyl) and the new coolant is green, not red.

Reply to
John

Reply to
noyap

They used the wrong type.

Reply to
noyap

Dexcool and conventional don't mix well. All the mfgs of Dexcool-type antifreezes recommend that all the old antifreeze be flushed out before adding Dexcool. Some people go so far as to recommend that you never put Dexcool in any vehicle which didn't have it from the factory.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

I picked up a "Toyota Red Coolant" brocure a couple of months ago from the Toyota dealership. They claim they use less silicates, which causes less wear on the internal components, or something like that.

My ES 300 uses the Pink Coolant. Can't find a brochure on that one yet.

Reply to
Iona Camry

Reply to
Matt Fournier