ZZ4 Coolant Question

What is the best coolant to use in the ZZ4 crate engine which has aluminum heads? I also have an aluminum rad. Thx!

Reply to
Sting Ray

Green anti freeze

Reply to
clevere

So I don't need that pink Dexcool? Someone recently told me that the green stuff has a chemical reaction with aluminum, which is why I was asking. Not true? Thanks clevere.

Reply to
Sting Ray

"Sting Ray" wrote

The green coolant has been "aluminum compatible" for quite a while. I'd agree with clevere about the choice of antifreeze. Even if you used dex, you would probably still change it every two years anyway....so why not just use the green coolant and avoid any of the associated problems that come with dex.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks for the clarification Ian. I actually found a slightly higher priced type of Prestone today at CTC which stated that it's "aluminum compatible". It's green Prestone as well and only two bucks more a jug so I'm going with it.

Reply to
Sting Ray

I've used the green in my 90 olds, 87 chevy cavalier, and my 94 grand prix. All with aluminum heads .. never had any trouble with the cooling system. (well, minus a heater core, but it was the plastic hoses that failed, not the core itself). I wasn't even aware green used to have a problem with alimunum heads.

compatible".

Reply to
clevere

"clevere" wrote

The stuff you have used is probably aluminum compatible....it has been for years. But before that.....yes, there was a lot of problems with aluminum getting eaten away by corrosion.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ya learn sumthin new every day.