GPS navigation system for car

Hi and Hello to all,

We are going to buy a new car and we are looking for a GOOD navigation system that talks clearly and shows every turn on every road mainly in New York (and why not all around the country). I once experienced the VDO (has a CD for the maps) that has a remote control but it seemed to be a bit annoying when entering information and so many times it took time for the computer to recalcaulate the map etc. I also saw a more recent Pioneer touch screen sounded better (has a DVD disk for the map), but my question is which one is the best or better GPS/navigator for a car no plug ins to TV and etc.?

Is a Handheld Navigation as good as a car built in?

Since we are buying a Toyota Sienna we looked into its system but teh package doesnt include a GPS and we rather would take something that is hooked onto a gooz-neck so it is facing the driver better.

Thanks! Erina

Reply to
Erina Mashes

[...]

You might try alt.satellite.gps for more ideas but I'm using a Garmin Ique

3600 with a windshield suction cup mount and a hard wired connection rather than the cigarette lighter plug in unit.
has a review. I already had a Palm PDA so a PDA with a GPS running Palm software was perfect for me as a replacement. Pat
Reply to
Greywolf

I'm not sure where you got your info, but the DVD Nav. system on the Sienna DOES have GPS.

The main downside is that the Nav option is only available on the XLE or the XLE LTD (which means if you only wanted the LE level trim, you would be paying another $5K for the XLE plus the Nav option). Of course the unit also functions as a radio/cd/dvd/video player as well.

Later.

Reply to
Private Person

Garmin StreetPilot 2610 would be a fairly good option. I have been using one for 20 months or so. You can get one with 2 GB CF card with maps pre-loaded on it from tvnav.com for less than $1000.

===================================================================Khalid Aziz snipped-for-privacy@gonehiking.org

Reply to
See signature for email addres

Hi all nice helping people,

Just for your information I bought to try the Magellan 700, and am trying it at home. It took about 10 - 15 minutes for the unit to know my present location while being out of the window. It knew quite well about the neighborhood, but some new added streets of the last 3 years is not in the map. I wonder if I can update the map,.. and why is there a FlashCard drive in the machine?

I also wonder where and how I can get an added antena for better and more accurate reception?

cheers, E.

Reply to
Erina Mashes

has Magellan software updates. You don't need a new antenna. The first locating fix takes longer since you could be anywhere in the world, especially if you didn't input your time first. After the first fix, the unit knows just about where you are and shouldn't take more than a minute or so. If you can get a fix with the built in antenna, an external won't help much if at all. The flash card is where the map software is loaded.Pat

Reply to
Greywolf

Reply to
Erina Mashes