Chrysler Navigation DVD Cost

I have a 2004 mini-van with the OEM navigation system. I called today to find out how much an updated DVD would cost. Alpine, the supplier, sells them for over $150.00 each. A new version will be out in early 2006. Ouch.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

There have been new versions recently out, make sure when you go to buy a new disk it has the updated road map and not just the updated software.

Glenn Beasley Chryselr Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I have the nav system on a 2006 300C. I've found that the database is spectacularly bad. Prior to getting the 300C I was using a hand held Garmin with a 4 year old CD-ROM database. The Garmin's database vastly more accurate then the one in the Chrysler. I've found that the 300C's waypoints are nearly always wrong and the quality of it's maps are also worse then the Garmin's even though the Garmin had to live the limitation of only having 19Mbytes of flash ram. In fact there are whole states, Vermont for example, where the Alpine database barely hase any coverage. Charging $150 for an upgrade would be OK if they made an attempt to keep the database up to date but given my experience with a brand new car it's clear that Alpine isn't making any effort to have an accurate database.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

From what they told me over the phone, the first real upgrade in some time is scheduled for release in early 06. You may get a free upgrade under certain situations. The phone number is on the DVD itself.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

How do you get the DVD out? I don't see a DVD eject button anywhere.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

If you look below the preset buttons or on the lower part of the stereo there is a long slot that has a small hole in it use an ink pen or something small place it slightly inside the hole and push to the side,that long slot is a cover and it should come off revealing the DVD slot and an eject button.

Reply to
TNKEV

Thanks

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

I have the nav on my 2006 300C Hemi and although I havent been out of a 50 mile radius yet, the system seems to be accurate here in NJ/Pa area. I was a bit taken back by the upgrade charge too.. I dont know yet if I'll buy it next year or not.

General Schvantzk>

Reply to
sharkman

Mine is working properly also. I wouldnt buy the upgrade untill the next map upgrade is out, And as Richard said, somethime in 06

Reply to
maxpower

I suspect that boot-leg copies of the upgrade DVD would be easy to make - and easy to obtain.

Probably will circulate on 300 owner's forums. Maybe E-bay too.

Reply to
MoPar Man