Engine mount replacement

I've been told I need new engine mounts for my 1997 SC300. Got 120,000 miles... Cost said to be $750.00 for 3 motor mounts.. Does this sound right .... do mounts cost that much???? Why do mounts need to be replaced if no racing, rubber burning has ever been done?? Thanks..

Reply to
AgaPSDIVER

What was the complaint that led you to take the car in for service, and is it a Lexus / Toyota dealer that is telling you that you need mounts?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Courtesy

Q-How do I know if my motor mounts are bad? What symptoms will Isee?

A-This is much more prevalent on the SC400 than the SC300 since there is more load placed on the driveline. On both models (most cars in fact) the best way to test the mounts is to choke the wheels, put the hand brake on firmly, lift the hood, now put your foot firmly on the brake pedal and while holding the brake pedal put the car into D(drive) and press the gas pedal a 1/4 of the way quickly. The motor should move a little but not "JUMP" out of place. If it does the mount on the drivers side is bad. Now put the car in R(reverse) and while still holding the brake pedal firmly repeat the the test by quickly pressing the gas pedal a 1/4 of the way and check for the same in the opposite direction. If the motor "JUMPS" out from the right side than the right mount is bad.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Reply to
AgaPSDIVER

Is this the Lexus dealer price? Take it to a local Toyota dealer and ask 'em how much to install the same part # Supra mounts. Should be about $400 installed.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I think they saw you coming!

I can't think why motor mounts would affect the transmission. The transmission mount, maybe? Anyway, if you aren't getting 'clunking' or excessive engine vibration and the mounts aren't physically broken, and you don't see excessive engine movement with the test I posted in the thread then I'd find myself a new Lexus dealer for my next service.

If you do observe excessive engine movement then follow my advice relative to getting a quote for Supra mounts from a Toyota dealer.

Reply to
Travis Jordan