ES 300 Rear light failure

Today I noticed the rear light failure indicator lit up on my dashboard . I checked and found my tailights are both ok as are the brake lights and the rear turn signals. Are there a two bulbs for the brake or tailights with possibly one failed or could it be a dashbord malfunction ?

Reply to
Ice

Check your license plate lights.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray, I found out what light was out . It is the high mounted brake light on the rear inside deck of the car . I looked around the moulding an could not find any screws for removal . Looking inside the trunk I onlt saw two plastic tabs that appear to hold the assemby in place. The owners manual informs me that the buld number is 7440 but gives no method of replacing it . Do I need to pry the cover off and if so how should I go about it? Oh by the way it is a 2003.

Reply to
Ice

Sorry, without looking at it, I don't really have any idea how to gain access to the center high mounted stop light (CHMSL) bulbs. Most likely, it just pops off.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks anyway Ray. It is still under warraty So I may just be lazy and take it in and have it done. I found this solution for a 96 ES and bet it is probably the same thing as it is so closely mounted to the window.

the cover slides straight forward. Firmly pull, sliding toward the front of the car to release the latch. Gently lift straight up (the wires will remain connected to the lamp socket. Twist out bulb socket (counter clockwise) remembering the orientation for it's return trip (it's a confusing socket).

Reply to
Ice

All you have to do is slide the unit back towards you, then you can replace the bulb.

Reply to
Wayne

Thanks Wayne. I'll get the bulb tomorrow and give it a try.

Reply to
Ice

Our local Lexus dealer fixes this for free. Just bring your bulbs.

Reply to
-

Fixed it myself today and all is well . It was a little bit of a hassle getting the socket apart from the housing but other than that not to bad. Would be nice if the manual covered basic things like this but I think they like to tie you to the dealer whenever possible.

Reply to
Ice

Your very welcome.

Reply to