First impressions: New ES350

I just saw the new 2007 ES350 at an auto show. I am underwhemed! It is just not exciting. I had hoped for a little panache, but this vehicle looks simply dull and uninspired. The Mercedes, BMWs and a few others have some style, but the ES350 looks like a new benchmark for bland.

Does anyone else feel a bit disappointed in the look of the ES350, or is it just me?

Has anybody heard what pricing will be? The Lexus rep at the auto show said pricing was not available just yet.

I'll look at the vehicle again for a second impression, when I visit a Lexus dealership this Spring ... but I can't get excited about it based on my first look.

Impartial

Reply to
Just Me

W. Wells

"If they just keep making them the best" is a fair argument. However, I'm not convinced the ES series has been at the top of the list for reliability, given the widespread transmission/shifting complaints. For instance, Consumer Reports magazine, in the new 2006 annual auto edition, seems to rate recent ES models lower than some cheaper Toyota and Honda vehicles. The latest ES 330 scores highly, but NOT perfectly.

Still, my argument is not with Lexus ES reliability. Rather it is with the lackluster styling of the new ES350. I repeat, this new ES is a new benchmark in boring design.

If Toyota/Lexus is vulnerable and lacking it is most certainly IMHO in the styling and design department, at least with sedans. They are SERIOUSLY trailing BMW and Mercedes in that repect. Again, just one former Lexus owner's opinion. Impartial (but not on this issue)

Reply to
Just Me

You think the ES is more boring than the current Merc C class it competes with?

Huh? You are kidding, right? I say they are at parity.

Reply to
GLitwinski

Reply to
W. Wells

With the amount of cars they sell, I don't think Lexus should be worried about anything

Reply to
VVT-i Owns

I'd suggest you look at the restyled Toyota Avalon Limited, which appears to have everything the new ES350 will have, and maybe more. It might be a few thousand less, around $35,000 list, and I personally think it looks better than the bland new Lexus ES. Larger, too. Oddly, the Avalon is faster than the new ES accellerating 0-60, based on published test statistics. The stats are not from the same source, but did show the Avalon to be a half second or more faster, as I recall. N

Reply to
Norskey

Yes, most definitely! I'd say Mercedes is far, far ahead of Lexus on styling ... as far ahead as Lexus is over Mercedes on reliability. I'm not the first to say it, but I concur: Lexus products have no soul or style compared to the Mercedes and BMWs. Lexus has a very timid, almost generic sense of exterior design. Perhaps understated or muted design themes ...but lately too boring to be called sophisticated. Still I admit it's just one car shopper's opinion. I had a '98 ES300 that was a truly great car, and still looks far better to me than the newest ES350. Impartial (most of the time)

Reply to
Just Me

The Avalon now matches the ES in substance, the ES has to sell itself based on style and brand image. Brand image shouldn't be any problem, but while I've liked what I've seen of the new ES in pictures, I haven't heard much other positive response. Hope it goes well for Lexus.

Reply to
IFCAR

The new 2007 ES is now based on the Avalon and not the Camry as in the past. Much change in the suspension, some in the engine, and the transmission is different (If I remember correctly)

Reply to
Garry Owen

The Avalon is also Camry-based, but the ES is closer in size to the Camry than to the Avalon.

Reply to
IFCAR

Im in Annapolis MD and use my RX330 (2006) all the time in and around Baltimore and DC and have seen no problems. I've types in previous addresses in California and ech time the NAV system has found the house and provided reasonable directions.

Reply to
Ace Bezzerka