New ES330?

I hear a redesigned ES is on the way. Has anyone seen pictures of it? Also, what changes were made the engine?

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

No pictures out yet, but the new ES will be the ES350. A 3.5L V6 same as the Avalon delivering 268 hp. Lexus has not released any photographs of the car, although it will debut February 8th at the Chicago Auto Show. My guess is the car will have more of the GS style lights with sharper curves as opposed to the much rounded current version. Also, I think the emblem/grill be more like that on the new LS/IS.

Reply to
NYLexSC

IE..moving further from the Camry?

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

I wonder if the price will skyrocket?

Reply to
NJ Vike

message

I wonder if they'll fix or replace the shitty intelligent (read: stoopid) transmission?

Reply to
David Z

I didn't know they have a problem with their transmissions.

Reply to
NJ Vike

Do a google search on this newsgroup.

photographs

Reply to
David Z

I wonder if the transmission works this time.

Reply to
Mack

I bought a new 2005 ES 330 and I was disappointed with the transmission. It's a 5 speed computerized transmission that is supposed to adjust to the way you drive. At the beginning it would jerk when you slow down and then step on the gas. Also, some of the downshifting wasn't smooth. There is a software update for it, but the dealer says that it sometimes makes it worse and, once installed, it can't be undone. They told me to drive it till about 2000 miles and see if it gets better. It did get better. I think it has adjusted somewhat to me, and I've adjusted somewhat to it. But it still isn't as smooth as my wife's 4 speed 2004 Camry's transmission. There is still an occasional jerk, though not as strong. I also got the optional 17" wheels. I don't think I would get them again, especially with the original Bridgestone tires, 215-55-17. These performance tires can wear out in

20,000 miles and they are expensive. They're OK, I guess, if you intend to drive 125+MPH, but I don't, and they are expensive to replace with the same size and specs. I'd get the 16" wheels and save money. In fact, if I had it to do over again, I would opt for a well equipped, top of the line, 6cyl., Camry and you'll get a car that's just as good while you save money. Before buying the Lexus, I would also check with the dealer to see what's the charge for "routine maintenance" every 5000 miles, and especially the 15,000 and 30,000 maintenance and inspections. You might have to take out a loan just for these. I think, where the ES 330 is concerned, they were simply cashing in on the Lexus name. It's been called a Camry in a Tuxedo, but I think one of the seams is a bit torn. Al

Reply to
Al

Al,

Sorry to hear about this.

I will wait to see what the redesigned model looks like and to see if any changes are made to the trans and engine.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

The redesign comes with a 6 speed transmission, and should have fixed all the jerky shifting problems with the updated technology.

Reply to
NYLexSC

That's good news. I hope it looks nice. I still haven't found any pictures of it.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

Theres a few official ones lurking around this forum.They are magazine pictures scanned in, and don't mistake the photoshopped IS for the new ES lol.

Reply to
NYLexSC

I've seen pictures of the Camry and it's a knock-out. The ES should be even better. Don't believe anyone telling you the ES is going to be further removed from the Camry than before. It will not...no need.

Reply to
GRL

That fix of the jerky tranmission problem comes a little late for those of us who purchased a 2005. Up to now, you bought a Lexus to avoid those kind of problems. I guess you just can't rely on a name any more. Al

Reply to
Al