GS300 Side Mirror... Replace Whole Part?

Hello, The plastic cover of the passenger side mirror of my Lexus GS300 broke. Just the plastic cover. The electronics + memory are fine, and the mirror itself is ok. So, I went to Lexus dealer, in NYC, and I spoke to the person in charge of the auto parts department. I was surprised when he told me that I need to replace the whole mirror including electronic components even that it's only the plastic housing that broke. The internal parts seem to be working well, memory-electronics included. It seem odd to me replacing a $500 working mirror. I need only the plastic cover... Why replace the whole thing. Is that normal or was he trying to deceive me? Any opinion would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Reply to
fid

Toyota mirrors (I assume Lexus also) are generally only available as assemblies. You can try a junk yard to try to find one at a lower price. By the way, the memory is not in the mirror, just the motor and heater.

Reply to
Ray O

You be surprised sometimes. The dealer may not be able to look up part #'s for just the plastic covers but if you can find the part # just for that, you may be able to get it. It's a long shot but what does it cost to try.

On my 88 MR2, the plastic trim holding the power switches broke and wouldnt stay on the arm rest. They told me they'd have to order the whole switch and not just the plastic trim. When I took it apart, I found the 10-digit Toyota part # and gave it to the dealer. They were able to find it and order it, even though they said they couldn't before.

Reply to
Viperkiller