GS430 VSC

Yesterday I was testing my new GS430 on a wet slippery road, and I was able to induce massive oversteer with VSC & traction control on while making a U-turn from a dead stop. The slip indicator light did no come on like it usually does. Any thoughts?

By the way, what an awesome car - I just got it 2 weeks ago - I love the Navigation and the Mark Levison audio.

Kiriakos

Reply to
Jim Johnson

The GS has been criticized for the VSC coming on late and too abruptly. Did it eventually come on?

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

Probably the event happened too fast and was "over" before the VSC could intervene. Did you come to a dead stop after the massive oversteer or did you continue on awhile?

You might try a lane-change avoidance-type maneuver or a freeway on-ramp where the sensors have a chance to detect an IMPENDING loss of traction.

Maybe the VSC knew you were testing it :)

Reply to
Greg Suzuki

On wet, you don't have to do anything heroic or dangerous to get the VSC chirping - just take normal street corners a little faster than normal and squeeze in a good dose of throttle mid-turn. Because the oversteer is mainly throttle induced, the VDC can catch it easily.

On dry pavement, you have to pitch it in much harder and it feels much riskier.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

I was stopped right before making a U-turn. I was doing between 5-15mph. I cought the massive oversteer myself and continued on driving. The slip indicator light never came on and it didn't feel like VSC/traction control kicked in at all. I don't know enough about VSC yet, maybe I was going too slow, the manual says it starts working after 8mph. Right now I don't trust VSC on icy/snow conditions, that may chance. I hope it was just the low speed.

regards,

-K

Reply to
Jim Johnson

I've done it on dry - it works great as long as you work "with" it, meaning, you don't intentionally try to induce massive oversteer, in that case it stays on for too long and the car is slow. When you push it slightly over the edge, it kicks in slightly and the car is super fast. I love it in the dry!!!

-K

Reply to
Jim Johnson

I think this is a good theory. It certainly works well in the wet at moderate speeds.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen