A/C condensiate leaking into interior

2003 Dakota, passenger carpet gets soaked after using A/C or defroster. I seem to rmember something here about a blocked drain tube? Is it easy to find/clean, or should I just take it to dealer?
Reply to
Bruce Porter

Look on the bottom of the firewall, passenger side (just above the wheel well) for a little rubber 90° elbow. This is the drain. Snake a pipe cleaner up in there, and see if you can unclog it.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

"Tom Lawrence" wrote in news:Dbx2f.12625$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

The '03 (at least mine) doesn't have the elbow - it's a straight pipe that exits the firewall horizontally. This is part of the problem in that the drip from the drain can be blown back into the cab as the truck is moving. The solution was to seal the area around the drain to prevent the drip from coming back in.

Joe '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC '93 Mustang 5.0 LX hatch with a few goodies

Reply to
Joe

Thanks. I looked with a flashlight last night, and didn't see anything similar to a drain tube. bottom of firewall, just above wheel well? I'll try to look today before it gets dark.

Reply to
Bruce Porter

Bruce Porter wrote in news:V4O2f.411265$5N3.362302 @bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

anything

Mine comes out of the firewall and simply ends; it sticks out only about 1/2" or so. If you follow the tranny dipstick down behind the passenger valve cover you should be able to see the tube poking out of the firewall.

Again, note that clogging isn't necessarily the issue - it's the water exiting the tube that gets blown back into the cab that causes the problem. Because my tube wasn't clogged, water never entered the cab unless the truck was moving over 30-40mph. That was fast enough for the airflow down there to push the water back around the tube and into the cab behind the firewall.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
Bruce Porter

It's easier to see from the top than the bottom. I can't see mine unless I shine a flashlight down there. Doesn't help that my truck is black, either...

The tube sticks out of the firewall about 2/3 of the way down, and it's pretty much right in line vertically with the passenger side head. Just down towards the ground a bit more.

Bruce Porter wrote in news:7FN4f.448578$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Reply to
Joe

Here is how I fixed the same thing on my 95: go under with a creeper, a tube of RTV, 10" piece of 5/8 heater hose & a hose clamp. slide the hose onto the nipple and clamp it. (it should rest nicely against the frame) then take the RTV and run a thick bead around the nipple and firewall. let it dry for a couple of hours......

Reply to
Billy

Have this same problem on 96 1500.

I've pulled away the carpet and rubber padding that goes up behind the dash. Right where the AC tray collection area goes throught the firewall, there is a little trickle of water flowing down.

I imagine that I can get some silicone and seal it up and it will stop?

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Dan Sanders