2003 RX300 Mystery "Ticking Noise"

My 2003 RX 300 has about 60,000 miles on it. Recently, an intermittent noise has been coming from the dash. The best way I can describe it is like the ticking noise a light timer or underground sprinkler timer might make. A friend of mine said it sounds like a casette tape that has reached the end of rewind and keeps on clicking and ticking.. The noise appears intermittently, but it's there about 80% of the time I drive the SUV. Shifting into neutral makes no difference, and I've checked every power item as well as the audio system and cooling system and they are not related to the noise.

I'm planning on having my Toyota dealer where I get my regular maintenance check it out when I get a chance. But I'm concerned as to whether it is something minor, or serious.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply to
J Golden

Probably mode actuator or mix actuator.

Remove glove box. Manipulate climate controls. Watch black box arms. Maybe take picture for parts guy.

Reply to
satmech

The boys at the Lexus factory are not without self-interest. So they have perhaps installed a small ticker which is easily turned off by any official Lexus stealership. Perhaps you should try your friendly Lexus Stealership. Be sure to visit the bank and establish a large credit line before you go, of course. Oh yes - where do you live that you can find a Toyota stealership which will work on Lexus cars? They won't do that here!

Reply to
mcbrue

My '99 RX 300 does the same thing. I believe it's the disk player... sounds like it's searching for something. Or maybe resetting a memory module? But it has been doing it for years.

Just do like the TV commercial guy... turn up the volume real loud and you won't hear it. Ya know, come to think of it, I don't remember hearing it at all when I got Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs playing. That might be your answer. Just keep the CD blasting!!

Larry In the back yard, under the oak.

Reply to
Larry

I think you meant its Homeland Security, and their tape got stuck

Reply to
old man

I believe I have heard this as well. Satmechs idea sounded pretty good since it does seem to emanate from the glovebox area. I thought it sounded like a spark or static from the right tweeter, but it might be mechanical switch contacts.

Reply to
echo