How old is too old?

I'm thinking of importing a 1996 Toyota Windom (Lexus ES300) from Japan to New Zealand. This particular vehicle has travelled 95,000km (59,000 miles). My only concern is the back lit instrument cluster. How long do these last on average before they start showing problems? The car is cheap, but I don't imagine a new instrument cluster would be.

Here is a link to the car I'm looking at:

g00g1eme

Henry Kolesnik

Even the back lights have gone out, making reading the speed, rpm, temp, or fuel level via silhouette even impossible.

Now I either go by feel, speed of traffic, or I lean way down and can just see what's going on in there.

Note that this does not affect any indicator warning lights (e.g., low fuel, too hot, brakes, door ajar, etc., only needles and backlighting.)

Still the best car I've ever had.

Reply to
RR