How many 02 sensors, What is a bank, what data is available? 2000 3 litre

Hi,

I have a 2000 Solara with the 3.0 litre V-6 engine.

I also have a Scan-Gauge II.

Besides the built-in guages, the SGII can have other gauges added, which may or may not find data in the car's computer to display. That is, not every gauge applies to every car, but I think some of the ones below apply to this Toyota.

"Most Asian, European, and Chrysler manufactured vehicles used the ISO protocol from 1996 to 2002. From 2003 to 2007 their vehicles will either support ISO or CAN."

In my 2000, ISO mode was used, and among the possibly available ISO measureable things ("gauges") are 02 Sensor Data and Fuel Trim Data, Air/Fuel ratio and Catalyste Temperature each of which uses the terms Bank and Sensor, but I don't know what this engine has .

For 02 Sensor Data, there are separate gauges for Bank 1, Sensor 1, 2,

3, and 4, and Bank 2, Sensor 1, 2, 3, and 4. That's 8 possible entries, but iiuc my engine has only 2 oxygen sensors, one for the odd-numbered cylinders and one for the even. . Is that right?

What does it mean by Bank? The odd or even numbered cylinders? That seems reasonable except for the next category:

For Fuel Trim Data. there are separate gauges for Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 So it couldn't be the odd versus efven cylinders.

For Air to Fuel Ratio it has A/F Ratio Bank 1 - Sensor 1, 2, 3, 4 A/F Ratio Bank 2 - Sensor 1, 2, 3, 4 Alt A/F Ratio Bank 1 - Sensor 1, 2, 3, 4 Alt A/F Ratio Bank 2 - Sensor 1, 2, 3, 4 and Alt A/F Ratio Bank General

-- Does this engine have Air/Fuel ratio sensors?

For Catalyst Temperature, it has Catalyst Temperature Bank 1, Sensor 1 and 2 and Bank 2, Sensor 1 and 2.

--Does this engine have Catalyst Temperature sensors?

Thanks for any help.

Scan Gauge II costs about $150. It reads and removes trouble codes, it displays a lot of engine info, it keeps track of yesterday's and today's info separately, and has sort of performance measurement feature.

Reply to
micky

Along these lines, a plug in blue tooth scanner, to ur android phone or tablet..

someone buy one of these so I can borrow it,
and
?showtopic=117577

Reply to
Mr. Austerity

Bank 1 is the bank that serves Cylinder 1, Bank 2 is the other cylinder, if there is one. All engines have Bank 1, they do not all have Bank 2. An Inline 6 can have an exhaust configuration that only has Bank 1, or it can have a split manifold which will give it a Bank 2 also. Your engine is a V, so it has Banks 1 & 2.

Sensor 1, Sensor 2 and so on, define the position ahead of or behind the CAT. Sensor 1 is before the CAT, Sensor 2 is after. Some systems have more than one CAT, so they have more than 2 sensors. For example, Sensor 3 would be after the second CAT, if there was one.

So, Bank 1, Sensor 3 would be the sensor on the exhaust side that serves Cylinder 1, and after the second CAT. I have never seen more than 2 banks of cylinders. I have never even heard of more than two banks of cylinders. Having said that, I'm gonna guess that there could be certain high performance engines that could have an O2 Sensor on each tube of the exhaust manifold. I can't imagine what the benefit of such a system would be other than to have tighter monitoring of each individual cylinder, and I can't imagine why there would be a need for tighter monitoring. If one had a V12, I could see a Bank 1, Bank 2, Bank 3, and Bank 4 because each bank of six cylinders might be served by two manifolds that handle the exhaust from three cylinders.

O2 Sensors measure air/fuel ratios, that's all they measure. Sensor 1 looks at the exhaust that just came out of the cylinders, and tells the computer that the mixture is correct, or not. The computer uses the information to retain or change the fuel injector timing tables. Sensor 2 looks at the exhaust that comes out of the CAT and compares the result to that of Sensor

1 to determine the functionality of the CAT -- if Sensor 2 sees the same amount of fuel after the CAT as before, then the CAT is malfunctioning.

CATs do not have temp sensors, well they could, but I have not seen one. CATs operate at high temps, and if the temp is low then the CAT efficiency is low, if the temp is high -- beyond what is normal -- then this indicates a malfunction. The O2 Sensors also need high temps to operate efficiently, so they have a heater built in that comes on on Cold Engine Start to warm the sensor before the exhaust itself has the chance to warm the sensor.

There are codes that exist that all engines will not make. For example, there is a code P0309, MISFIRE CYLINDER 9, that can only occur in an engine with more than 8 cylinders.

Just because your scan tool has a manual with code definitions in it does not mean that your engine will ever produce all of the codes. Do not obsess over the meaning of the codes until your engine actually throws one.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks for a wonderful answer. I don't know how to say that more strongly except to say it twice. Thanks for a wonderful answer.

Yes, I understand, and the manual itself makes that clear too. This is designed for (just about?) every car made since 1996, and not every car can sense every thing. And I get the impression that earlier years are likely to have fewer kinds of data than later years. (Although everything I posted about is ISO data which was use earlier and iiuc is gone in new cars or fading away.

Although the Scan Guage II will read codes and clear them, this part of the manual and the operat was not about codes. It's about what they call gauges, data which (if a particular car reports a particular kind of data) will always be reported, the actual value, not whether it ia good value or a bad one. (The Scan Gauge II depends on the car to set the codes, of course.)

I know that any of the values I mentioned (and others I didn't mention that didn't go into bank or sensor) might not be provided by the car, but from your explanation, I know that anything with a bank higher than 2 will certainly not be provided. And I'm prettty sure I only have one cat, so anything higher than 2 won't be provided.

The device comes with a lot of "gauges" pre-installed**, but for some reaosn these other "gauges" have to be installed by the owner. Each one requires my entering 38 characters, spread out over four parts . Thatt's going to take some time, but you've made clear to me that I don't even have to try installing a lot of them. So you've saved me a lot of time.

**Gauges that come pre-installed are Miles per gallon (or KPG, KPL,KPL or LHK) MPH (or KPH) RPM Water Temp, in F or Centigrade Average Fuel Economy Votlage Intake Air Temperature Gallons per Hour (or litres) Ignition Timing Engine Loading Horsepower (though it goes from 3 to 50 or 60 even though I have a 192 HP engine . There's a (separate?) ISO gauge for HP that might give different results after I add it.

Gauges the Scanguage has that my car doesn't seem to have are Trasmitssion Fluid Temp MAP and Boost (It can't have boost because it's not supercharged or turbocharged, but it could previde MAP, but doesn't.

I can't remember if it shows something for the Throttle Position Sensor. gauge.

It also has a trip computer that will keep trrack of yesterday's mileage, and if you enter the cost of gasoline, it will keep track of dollars per hour etc.

It also has a performance monitor, that keeps a running record of time, speed, distance, and one other measurement of your choice every two or four tenths of a second, up to 24 seconds, or when you slow to a stop. You can recall the data until you turn the engine off, or you can save it. You can save 8 sets of data, and recall and display each of them. I doin't know where there's a spot both safe and safe from the police to do acceleration tests, and I'm too old to care much. On the ohter hand, if the car is ever not working right, I might be able to debug it by watching a given gauge for 24 seconds of acceleration or deceleration.

And I plan to take this with me to the next car.

One thing worth noting. In the 2000 Solara, there was no really good place to mount it. Very few flat surfaces, very few empty spots where it wouldn't obstruct something. I ended up putting it halfway down the dash, just under the speedometer, just above the side mirror contrrol and to the right of that, just near something, with the cable going in the hole where the steering column is. (the cable comes out the right side or the rear, either one.) Plus you have to be able to grip it or to push on it, in order to change functions etc. The buttons work easily, but it has to be mounted at least stlightly firmly, or you have to be able to get a finger behind it to squeeze it. Dimensions are on teh webpage. I assume their accurate but I haven't checked.

There is a cheaper, slightly smaller model ScanGauge LE or something, It doesn't have as many features. It might have one more feature, but I didn't need it and I forget.

I'll tell you more if you want.

Reply to
micky