Inoperative Horn, Cruise Control, air bag light stays on - LS400, 1990

Inoperative Horn, Cruise Control, air bag light stays on.

This all happened at the same time.

They are not on the same fuse circuit according to the manual. And items on the same fuse circuits with horn (example - Flasher lights) DO work.

Is there one wiring harness, or one point all these come together where the connection may have come apart. The are all steering column related in one way or another.

Any idea how to get to where the problem might be.

She's bee with me 13 years. Hate it when these little problems start to crop up.

Thanks

Reply to
TVPro

Hmmm . . .the way I would approach this problem is to get a wiring diagram of the circuit(s) in question, then trouble shoot from there looking for continuity, broke wires, disconnected wires. Could be the clockspring mechanism broke. The clockspring mechanism is a bundle of wires for the steering wheel controls and it winds up when you turn the wheel and winds down when you turn it back the other way. This way the wires don't break off when you turn the wheel. Located behind the air bag in the steering wheel hub.

I had the clock spring mechanism break on my Ford Van. Took me a while to figure it out and even find out what a clockspring mechanism was. Fairly involved procedure where I had to SAFE the air bag system, remove the air bag, pull the steering wheel, and replace the clockspring mechanism wiring harness. The part for the Ford cost me $127.00 but my labor was free and took about 1.5 hours. Need the right tools and information though . . . to make sure you don't blow off your head with the airbag.

Don't know if this Ford experience is fully transferable to your situation. BTW, I drive an ES300 ('94) and GS300 ('01) these days.

rgm

Reply to
rgm

I owned a Saab with the same symptoms. There was an electrical contact ring on the steering wheel shaft that needed to be replaced. Mine occurred after I turned the wheels sharp to one side while backing out.

Reply to
Jerohm