Is use of synthetic oil covered under warranty

But they're not feeding their family with the use of that car and that engine.

You've avoided the question, so I'll ask it again: if dino oil protects the engine sufficiently for the life of the ENTIRE CAR, then who cares?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Tell Ford that.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" quipped:

no, you're loading a question.

The real question should be:

"What *is* the life of the entire car?"

Define that and then we have a baseline. I've owned cars that were 20 years old and, because I took care of them, they looked nearly new.

It all depends on how you care for your car and the elements you subject the car to.

Given two identical cars used identically in the same environment, a car running on synthetics will outlast (engine wise) a car running on dino oil.

It's just that simple. I don't know why this is so hard for you to grasp.

Reply to
amstaffs

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" quipped:

I had a 91 Ford Explorer and when I sold it in 99 with 150,000 miles on it, the dealer said it looked and drove like new.

No tears, no faded paint, no dents, dings, and with some minor exceptions, no scratches.

I didn't even have to put a lot of effort in maintaining it. I just washed and waxed it once a month, kept to the maintenance schedule (much of which I did myself), and ran synthetics in the engine.

Maintaining a car isn't that hard. It's just that many people are lazy and if they didn't pay 50G's for it, they tend to take less care of it. If you maintain a Benz or a Lexus like you maintain a Ford Festiva, they'll both look like crap just like any other car.

Reply to
amstaffs

I'm not loading a question.

Cars have lifespans. Some are shorter than others. Why pay extra to have the engine be in "perfect" condition when the rest of the car isn't?

Cars crash. Cars go down in value as they age. There's zero point in having a perfect engine when the rest of the car is gone.

Insurance: do you keep full collision and comprehensive insurance on your 91 Ford? You probably do, and that's insane.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

My SAAB came factory with long-life Mobil-1. Changed every 15K miles. With all the additive crap they are putting in gas now I would use synth.

Reply to
dan

If you use a high quality air filter and have a mix of regular city/highway driving, you should easily be able to go 10K miles between changes. I am really surprised Lexus doesn't use synth out of the box.

Reply to
dan

dan