Jerky ES Tranny

Kegler, you ask a VERY good question, and I say that with no sarcasm. I think about this frequently and may just have to take a financial hit so that I CAN feel that my car will respond correctly in emergency situations. The reason I'm so indignant is that I'm a cheap bastard and my ES is new and the expectation didn't match the reality and I'm just bitter. People who have the ES but not the transmission problem just don't understand. Buying a $35,000 piece of crap doesn't make you feel good and swapping it out for a car that works as designed is painful if you take the financial hit. I had bought the ES with the intention of holding it for its lifetime, which I estimated at at least 12 years. If I didn't have this goal, I would have bought a Camry or Accord. (Yes, I believed Lexus stuff was supposed to last longer because made in Japan and at supposedly higher quality.)

Reply to
Mack

I do not wish to get into the debate between David and Rumple, but I would like to tell you about my 2005 ES 330. It has 9200 miles on it. I have the jerk and hesitation, and, frankly, I'm surprised that Lexus would market a car like that. Shortly after I bought it last June, I noticed the jerk and hesitation. I didn't notice it in the demonstator. Apparently, it's not the same in all cars and for all drivers. The more aggressive drivers will experience it more. I heard there was a software update for the transmission that was supposed to improve this condition. So I made an appointment to have it installed last August. When I got to the dealer for the installation, the service rep told me that, once installed, it can't be undone and in some cases it made the condition worse. That made me change my mind since the jerk and hesitation, for my car, is not too bad.

About a month ago, I called the dealer and asked if there was any revision to the software update since I last inquired. They said yes and that people weren't complaining anymore about the update making it worse. So I took the car back to the dealer to have the update installed. After sitting at the dealer for an hour, the Service Mgr. came out and told me that the car already had the latest software update. (It must have been amoung the first to get it.) He also told me they checked the car out and that everything is they way Lexus says it's supposed to be. They took it for a test ride and said it was OK. I then took the Service Mgr. for a ride to demonstrate the jerk, and, guess what - - it didn't jerk. I don't know what to make of it. Since taking it to the dealer it has jerked a few times at very low speed. On the highway it seems OK, but I notice, when you need immediate accelleration at highway speeds, its not always instantly there. There's a one or two second hesitation. I am a moderate driver (not too fast, not too slow). I notice when I drive gently it rarely jerks. I do not regard it as a serious safety hazzard, but I can see where in certain unusual cases it could be. I asked the service rep if this condition would shorten the life of the transmission and neccessitate a repair earlier than normal. He said no. I'm not sure, however, if I should believe him. After all, I can imagine that his employer and/or Lexus would not like it if he said yes. Other than this problem, its a nice comfortable car. However, if I was in the market for a car again, knowing what I now know, I think I'd get a car without this condition. Al

Reply to
mhr

Reply to
Charles Brand

It started with the 2002 ES300 redesign. From the reports I've read, it was the worst in that model year and has gotten gradually better since then, but hasn't been eliminated. Apparently, Lexus/Toyota has been making improvements over the years, but the basic design concept is fundamentally flawed.

Prior to the 2002 ES300 there was no such problem. The 2002 ES introduced an "intelligent" transmission design that supposed to "learn" the driver's habits and adjust accordingly. From what I understand, this "intelligent" transmission is the source of the hesitation and the jerkiness.

A drive-by-wire system was also introduced in the 2002 ES design. Some posters claim that the drive-by-wire system is part of the problem or even the entire problem. But, I suspect that it's the "intelligent" transmission design alone that's causing the hesitation and the jerkiness.

Reply to
David Z

That wasn't a personal attack. I pointed out that the poster has a unique talent that he could capitalize on, then went on to say that I have a different opinion. If you read back, the personal attacks have come from the other individual.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

That actually is a great representation of my experience with deciding on and living with my 2002 ES. Thanks for relating the issues so clearly, which I haven't done.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

When you don't have anything substantive to say in response, yet you feel the imperative to get in the last word, that's the only option left.

Reply to
David Z

Interesting spin. You ought to consider a career in politics. LOL!

Nonsense.

Reply to
David Z

I'm glad to know you have a clear understanding of that concept.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

Thanks for proving my point.

Reply to
David Z

And thanks for proving mine. Cheers, mate!

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

Just curious, why does it trouble you so much that people disagree with your opinions? I don't think I'm the only one to notice that, and I'm certainly not the first to post an opinion that the unpredictability of the ES3xx ECU presents a safety concern, and you've chosen to engage in a Republican-party-style personal attack filled with assumptions and inferences and an air of superiority, and still you accuse me of not having anything substantive to say. I have not participated in a personal attack debate, I simply have said I disagree with your opinion, and gave you positive feedback that you have the type of tenacity that you could capitalize on. Would you rather I put a negative spin on everything? Did you want me to actually attack you? Why should I? You've already represented yourself enough here to allow most to form an opinion. I've not shared my very succinct opinion of you. As with the ES issue, your opinion is no better than mine, and vice versa. I have a clear understanding of that concept.

"David Z" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

You're attempting to rewrite history. Unfortunately, for you, it's all documented in this thread.

You're certainly entitled to your own OPINION, but not your own FACTS.

Reread this thread. I stated my opinion first. You challenged me. I simply defended my opinions, at first, and now, against your repeated personal attacks.

Since you have nothing substantive to add at this point, you relentlessly continue to try to make it personal with me.

So the question is best asked of you. Why does it MY opinion trouble YOU so much? And why are you so upset by it that you feel the need to make up you own history about it?

More historical fiction.

You've attacked me repeatedly and continue to do so. So much so that another disinterested poster was motivated to ask you "why the personal attacks?"

Yet you haven't responded to his question, nor have you responded to any of my substantive points. You prefer to dwell on personal issues that you fictionalize for your own purposes.

You continue to attack me, while saying that you're not (untrue) and that I'm attacking you (also untrue). Repeating these falsehoods, does not make them any less false. Except in your imagination. I suspect that you've actually convinced yourself of your fictionalized version of history.

No, but apparently you keep goading me so that I'll attack you, so you can justify the attacks you've made on me. Sorry, but I'll decline that invitation once again.

This is yet another attack. Apparently, that's obvious to everyone, BUT you.

You're certainly entitled to your own opinion. But not your own facts.

Not by a long shot.

Reply to
David Z

Boys! Settle down, now. Nobody cares. If you won't stop you'll both get timeouts.

David Z wrote:

Reply to
Rob

I'm reminded of Ann Coulter...everyone else is wrong, everyone else is the attacker, everyone else started it first, everyone else is the problem, my opinion is fact, I am the only one worthy of an opinion unless of course your opinion agrees with mine, blah, blah, blah. It's always so sad to see people experience that kind of frustration, but I guess it's just part of the human condition.

Wow, this may be a simple misunderstanding here. An attack would be for me to actually state an opinion of you. If I'm mistaken, please tell me what my opinion of you is, I'm really curious to know.

You accused me of making up my "own history". Maybe you could have provided one of my quotes to back that up?

I'd sure like to know of one.

I always said it was my opinion. To put it in your words, check the history. I'm also not sure anyone here is qualified to mandate that someone is not entitled to their "own facts". There could be many subject matter experts out there who may be taken aback by that assertion. But if you only meant me, then maybe that was a personal attack.

The assertion below was your FIRST direct reply to one of my posts. You could have chosen to ask me for clarity, but instead you chose to attack. >>That speaks volumes about your ability to fairly assess a situation.aren't even aware of the "problem." There's a guy with the same car who

I'm not sure I agree with your evidence that this isn't a safety issue. The vehicle is reported to behave differently in different geographical areas, and the hesitation problem may be varied. Different gasoline formulations around the country can also cause the ES3xx to behave differently. Your anecdotal experience with the vehicle isn't enough to disprove the safety claims of other drivers. Similarly with the old model Audi, I don't remember what model it was, but it suffereed from an unexplained sudden throttle acceleration problem. Those who experienced the problem were convinced it was real, those who didn't experience the problem stood by their cars with great loyalty. And I guess there could have been personal attacks questioning the judgement of those who chose to keep it, in spite of the multiple reported problems that were never identified.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

That's an excellent self-portrait.

Reply to
David Z

Rumple I for one do not care for your injection of politics into this group . This group is not the Daily Kos or some other land of Oz but rather a place where people of interested in Lexus automobiles regerdless of political affilations . Your references to Republican attack tactics, people who voted for George Bush and Ann Coulter are both childish and uncalled for. Please before you put me on you rave list step outside yourself and examine your behavior. I am sure you will accuse me of being a Skull and Bones opperative for the right wing forces of chaos and anarchy but this could not be farther from the truth. I am simply an ES owner [ with no trans lag] who thinks you have just beaten this into the ground and have nothing more of value to add .

Reply to
Ice

did you go to Princeton, Harvard, or Yale? And did you belong to any secret societies, or do you still belong to any secret societies? Time to get honest here, and just reveal the truth - are you realllllly an undercover agent for Boy George Bush??? And is it true that you NSA spies can not ony tap our phones and often do, the can also tap and record the computer conversations?

Reply to
mcbrue