Navigation work around?

I've got an 2004 LS430 that has Navigation. When the car is moving, I cannot access any address, the numbers simply turn off. It's a safety measure. Does anyone know of a way to turn that off so I can enter data as I'm driving?

Reply to
sbcglobal

hit menu. then volume. Then touch the very top left corner of the display, then the bottom left corner then the top left again and bottom left again. You will get a diagnostic screen. Select the one labeled override and hold it in until the border changes color to red. then ok then hit the map button and go back to the normal display and you should be able to do what you want to do while moving. .....but you will have to do it all over again once you shut off the car. I think this is correct and should work but I am not by the car to test it right now. It works on my LX 470 (both the 2003 I had and the new 2006).

Reply to
Edgar

I tried this, and it did not work. I have an LS430 with ML Audio. Any other suggestions? Thanks g

Did not work at all, or what? Did you get the diagnostic screen? I tried it last night and it does work on the LX470. Don't know about the LS430...sorry.

Reply to
Edgar

I have a volume option. My menu button is also on the left side. When I push it I get more options. No knob. Don't know what is different. Mine worked in the 2003 and the new 2006 I just got. You get no volume setting to come up on the screen? Just a knob to adjust it? I have never seen that in a 470, so that may be why.

Reply to
Edgar

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been looking for a way for the passenger to fully utilize the navigation system on my 2005 ES330 since the day I bought it. This works like a charm! It's not exactly what I'd like (requiring all the keystrokes each time the car is started), but it will come in handy on long trips.

mdh

Reply to
Michael D. Henderson

WOW! That's VERY COOL!!!!!!! Thanks!!!

I'm sure glad I didn't get the switch ($150 plus installation) that someone posted here a while back. :-)

BTW, I think there's a step that you left out. The sequence goes like this:

(1) Hit menu. Then volume. Then touch the very top left corner of the display, then the bottom left corner then the top left again and bottom left again. You will get a diagnostic (service) screen.

(2) Select the one labeled override and hold it in until the border changes color to red (you'll hear a beep).

(3) Then hit back (this is the step that was omitted above).

(4) Then hit OK. Then hit the map button and go back to the normal display and you should be able to do what you want to do while moving

Reply to
David Z

I have a 2004 LS430, and your instructions worked perfectly. I don't know why "g" can't find the volume button after pressing menu -- it's right there on the screen. Thanks for this VERY COOL tip!

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
burt

It works on my 2004 ES330.

Reply to
<xxx>

The real beauty of this workaround is that you can do it WHILE THE CAR IS MOVING! So, if you forget to override it prior to taking off, your passenger can enable the override at any time. Fabulous!

Reply to
Giga

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:00:59 -0500, "Giga" graced this newsgroup with:

yes except the workaround only works for 03 or newer Lexus navigation systems. Mine is an 02 LS430 and it doesn't work...*sigh*..

Reply to
Anonymous

Actually, my wife has an '03 GX, and it doesn't work on her car (but it does work on my '04 LS430), so I'm not sure if it's a car year thing, or what version of the DVD you happen to have. Perhaps an upgrade would do it for your '02?

Reply to
Giga

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 10:16:25 -0500, "Giga" graced this newsgroup with:

I know that it only works for 4th generation navigation systems and my car has the 3rd generation system. To upgrade, I believe, would be incredibly expensive since just about everything would need to be replaced. I definately know it's not just a DVD disk swap.

I believe the 4th generation, come to think of it, started coming out in cars in '04.

Reply to
Anonymous