No New Car Smell on New 2003 ES300

I just got a brand new 2003 Lexus ES300 with 10 miles on it. The "problem" is that I was expecting the typical new car smell, but this one didn't have it. Is the absence of this odor typical of Lexus? The other strange thing was that the car was a bit dusty and there were fingerprint marks all over the interior. The exterior also had some noticeable stains/greasemarks which came out with a wet wipe. I was surprised that they didn't wash the car before delivering to us, given that Lexus is supposed to be a luxury brand. Is this experience typical. It's really too petty to complain about through official channels and the salesman was great. Same with everybody who processed us through the sales cycle and vehicled elivery.

Reply to
triplezzz

Ya' got hosed with a loaner/demo model!

Reply to
noyap

the only thing i can think of is that even though there is only 10 miles, maybe it was sitting out in the sun. heat would help to speed up the process at which the smell dissipates. also, when it does dissipate, it would make a film most notable on the windshield and windows.

if i remember correctly, that "new car" smell is the fumes coming from the adhesives auto makers use. i read that the people either really like the smell, or get headaches from it, is because it is like a high similar to sniffing glue. so actually, you are better off without that smell anyways.

i know that this doesnt quite match the things you found on your car. but hope it helped anyways.

we recently picked up a 2004 rx 330 and it had that new car smell, so i would say that "no, it is not typical for lexus to not have a new car smell."

Reply to
gary a

Look on the placard on the driver's side door jamb. There should be a date of manufacture on it. A 2003 model could have been made as long ago as September 2002 and sitting on the dealer's lot since then. If the car is several months old, its "new car smell" might have dissipated by now.

Since it has only 10 miles on it, I doubt it was a "loaner/demo" model as another poster (probably maliciously) suggested.

Reply to
Gregg

Be thankful those toxic fumes are gone!

Reply to
John

Actually, the plastic in new cars have been changed to avoid "new car" smell. This has been going on for several years. Apperently there have been complaints from folks who have a reaction to such smells. As a result a new car produced now will smell only slightly and for a short period of time. Too bad....

Reply to
Chip Palmer

My 2002 ES has the new car smell, even today, 14 months after I purchased it.

Reply to
jt

The wife's 2000 ES300 still reeks! It makes everyone who ride in it stink! But it is a lexus ...

Reply to
MCBRUE

Mine too.......(after 15 mos.)

Reply to
njbok

I can't comment on the new car smell though I can add than my IS300 had it the day I bought it and still has it slightly after 10 months. My sister just got a new RX330 and it has the new car smell.

The car SHOULD have been detailed and filled with gas before you took possession of it. What you experienced was NOT typical of a Lexus dealership no matter how nice your salesman was. You should be receiving a survey from corporate soon and I would give a statement that the car you took possession of was not cleaned and detailed as it should have been. It is not petty to complain about these types of things; Lexus IS a luxury brand and markets itself as such. My salesman/dealer makes me feel like a VIP everytime I show up there. Free loaner vehicle (Lexus) and my car gets detailed and vacuumed after every service. When you pay the higher price tag that comes with a Lexus these services should be expected.

Reply to
DirkDiggler

"DirkDiggler" wrote

Is this "Gas" available in the UK? I would love to keep my old car smelling new?

Yaz

Reply to
Yaz

Yeah, it's called "petrol" in the UK!

Reply to
Stephen Clark

"Stephen Clark" wrote

Surely this is not the same as NEW CAR SMELL?

Yaz

Reply to
Yaz