Thinking of buying an X-Type (UK)

As my father's unofficial motoring advisor, I'm suggesting he might like the X-Type. Probably a '2.0' Classic or the diesel at a pinch. He doesn't want to spend too much, but feels he deserves a bit of luxury in his retirement.

What he's trying to get back is the pleasure he got from his beloved Peugeot

406 that he replaced with a lesser car some years ago. That may sound odd, but at the time, the 406 was exceptionally refined and had a great ride - perhaps the two most important attributes for him.

Our most recent road test, of a rather disappointing Toyota Avensis, has left me thinking that to get that 'wow factor' back, he's going to have to move up a notch. The X-Type seems like good value for what it is and there seem to be a few bargains around.

SO, the question is, before we test drive, what are your experiences as owners? Is the X-Type a real step-up from something like a Mondeo (the obvious comparison) or its mainstream rivals? Do you get the 'warm glow' from owning and driving it? Or is it just like any other car really? What about reliability? (Seems to do fairly well in the CS surveys.)

Thanks.

-- Androo (Remove your clothes to reply)

Reply to
androo

Androo,

I have no doubt that your Father has worked hard all his life and is looking forward to his retirement. He deserves some fun ....

Forget these plastic Jags - go out and buy him a proper Jag. Make sure its got lots of cylinders. 12 is ideal but if you really must then go for 6 !!!

stu

Reply to
stuart adair

I've just spent the last two months going through this process for a car for my wife and she eventually decided on a 2.0 X-Type SE Auto.

This was in comparison with a Lexus IS200 and a Mercedes C180 Kompressor Sport Auto.

A good friend of mine works for Mercedes and could do a very good deal on a new car for us.

Lexus is bringing out a new IS200 at the end of the year, so there are plenty of offers on the current model.

Then on the off chance we drove past a Jaguar dealer, arranged a test drive and my wife was sold. Outside it's a pretty car but I personally preferred the New Class Merc Sport, but inside nothing is patch on the Jaguar, it's a whole world better than any of the rivals until you start spending over £30K with the other manufactureres.

For us it came down to value for money and choice, and the X-Type gave us that because of the discounts we found through the vehicle brokers on line.

We went to 5 on line brokers in total, all supplying brand new UK cars, not imports, all built to order.

came up with the best deal for the model we wanted which was £4800 off list for a 2.0 V6 SE Auto with Sat Nav, bluetooth, Aruba Alloys, electric folding mirrors and overcarpets for £23,900.

Our local dealer (Doves Croydon) said He would match the quote, so we placed the order with him, we are expecting delivery some time in August/September.

And we feel we chose the best car.

Alan M

Reply to
Alan Mudd

Thanks for your responses. I' think I'll take him for a test drive.

Androo

Reply to
androo