Oil gelling in RX series

We purchases a 2005 Lexus RX330. I've been reading a different thread about the RX300 having an oil "gelling" problem that lead to engine failures. Was that problem fixed in a redesign for the RX330, or does the problem continue to exist?

Thanks

Reply to
LIW

Stick with a quality synthetic oil (Mobil 1, etc), change your oil every

6-7K miles and it should be a nonissue.
Reply to
jav

It only happens to people that dont change their oil regularly.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Actually if you are going to use synthetic oil, just change oil (if you regularly put on 12000 miles per year) twice a year. And if you are on a budget, change oil and filter in the spring, and just change the filter and add a quart in the fall. Even when you have 6000 miles on your filtered synthetic oil, it is better quality than new mineral oil. But I do know that many people are simply indoctrinated into changing every 3000 miles. If it makes you feel good, then by all means... however it is simply a waste of good oil. And I hope if you do change much too frequently that you save the old oil and give it to someone who is currently using mineral oil. The only harm that could possibly come from re-using this oil is if the oil is contaminated to such an extent that the filter does not remove it. in other words no problem.... as long as it is translucent in a glass jar (amber in colour) it is fine to use. When i use synthetic oil I wait till it turns a bit dark, then change filters. right away it cleans up to transparent again... I wait till it again darkens then i replace both the oil and the filter. This is usually about 9 months of hard use. (12-15000 miles) Never have I had an oil related problem. And I used to have a machine shop that rebuilt 10-15 engines per day. Most people waste huge amounts of synthetic oil needlessly.

Dan J.S. wrote:

Reply to
mikstp

the actual problem was inadequate clearance in the valve cover baffles. the updated valve covers weren't introduced until mid-2001. the new moddel you shouldn't have any problems with.

however, this doesn't mean that you don't have to change your oil every 5,000 miles

Reply to
MudPuppy76

having rebuilt about 20 of these, i have not seen a single one that wasn't the victim of 7, 10, or

20k oil change intervals :/
Reply to
MudPuppy76

Really?

Even if those 6000 miles were the result of 1 or 2 mile trips, with an engine that never warmed up?

If your oil is full of water and acids, I don't care if it's synthetic or not--you need to drain it and replace it. New mineral oil is superior to watery synthetic oil.

Synthetic oil has its place, but it's not a universal panacea.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Ben- Is there a value add to changing the valve covers on a RX300 for a model year 99 or 00 to ones used on 02 and later models? Thanks.

Reply to
3D

as in, is it worth it? you could do it, just get a quote for front and rear valve covers, pcv valve, and valve cover gaskets. as far as it being worth it, it would only make sense to do it if your lexus dealer wasn't going to cover the repairs if indeed oil gelling has occurred.

so, IMHO yes, it can be done, but i don't think it's worth it.

Reply to
MudPuppy76

Use synthetic oil and you will have zero problems.

Simple.

- GRL

Reply to
GRL

...or follow the excessively long oil change intervals Toyota (used to?) recommend(s) with just dino-oil.

Reply to
GRL

Interesting.

Ever try using a better grade of filter? What filter do you use?

- GRL

Reply to
GRL

The water will evaporate. So will volatile (short chain) acids. It gets hot in there. The additive package (which tends to be excellent in synthetics) takes care of the acids, anyway.

- GRL

Reply to
GRL

I tend to use Mobil 1 synthetic in our vehicles, but I don't change it until about 7,500 miles. Still recommend changing every 5,000 miles?

Reply to
LIW

Not if all you do is short trips. It never gets the chance to.

3 months of short trips, with water in the oil, is very bad for the engine--no matter whether you use synthetic or dino oil.
Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Not at all. You can still have problems, easily.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Would you also recommend that in a '98 LS400 with 77456 miles?

Thanks

GRL wrote:

Reply to
Buckshop LeFunk

i think that people miss the fine print when they read their meaintenance manual. they see 5,000 miles service, and they see 7,500 miles service. we recommend 5,000 miles for severe conditions, such as, extreme weather conditions, frequent short trips, excessive driving habits, or for towing. here in the northeast, we have all of this. if you live anywhere below the 38th, driving highway miles all the time, and you don't tow anything, then follow the 7,500 schedule and you will have no problems.

today i pulled the drain plug on an '02 IS300. the last oil change was 12,000 miles ago. the oil dripped out like chunky black honey. don't tell me that's lexus' fault. hmmm, i wonder why it was blowing smoke, let's see. maybe if the previous owner hadn't spent so much on his pimp lights, he could have gotten his oil changed a little more often.

Reply to
MudPuppy76

'00 model has 125k use Mobil 1 5-30 change religiously 5k all is perfect! It's all about proper maintainence. By the way, I do it my self!

Reply to
Lexie