RX300

I just got myself a 1999 RX300. Nice vehicle. I got really lucky on how much I paid for it.

Anyway, the prior owner is going to pay for a year of mechanical problems for me, so I figured I'd get a bunch of stuff looked at.

When I drive it and hit bumps, I hear grinding. Is that the shock absorbers? They aren't that expensive to replace, so I can do that on my own, but if it's something more serious, I need to get him to pay for it. So I'm wondering what you guys think that is?

Also, I've heard of people getting about 22mpg on the highway, but I don't seem to be getting close to that ( I think the best I saw is 17.6 mpg on the display ). If I am getting less than I should per gallon, what should I have looked at / replaced to get that straight?

Also, my manual confused me. If give 17 gallons or 14.3 imp gallons as my fuel tank capacity. I'm lost, which is it?

I've never owned a Lexus (read nice car) before, so I'm not wanting to leave anything to chance.

Cerberus

Hopefully, the previous owner changed the oil at least every 5,000 miles and has the receipts. The V6 has a problem with oil gelling otherwise which can mean an expensive major engine overhaul. When we had an RX 300, about the best we saw on a trip was 23 mpg.

Reply to
twaugh5

fortunately, if the previous owner wasn't keeping on his oil changes, lexus is covering the rebuilds in full. if you start noticing blue smoke or your oil light comes on, take it directly to your dealer with as many of the oil change receipts as you have for the vehicle.

i have rebuilt better than 20 of these, some of which required whole new engines because of oil starvation in the bearings.

Reply to
MudPuppy76

Well, the gelling issue already happened and they already overhauled the engine. This is the AWD version of the RX300, so I was wondering if that makes a significant difference in the mpg.

Reply to
Cerberus

I just checked it out and I should be getting like 19/22 mpg, but I'm not really near that. Is there something I can check and such to see what's up with that? Some people have reported lower than "normal" gas usage and then mentioned using synthetic blends and such. Since you're a Master Technician at a Lexus dealership, I figured I'd ask. Also, I can take it to a Toyota dealership for service too right?

Reply to
Cerberus

i would have to say that adding the extra drivetrain components adds to the weight of the vehicle and therefore lowers the average mileage. less than 20mpg hwy would be an indication of poor gas mileage.

keep the OD on, keep your foot away from the brake, don't haul the last four weeks of trash around all the time, and drive with the wind and downhill.

keep in mind that engine condition, vehicle load, elevation, wind speed and direction, road types, driver styles, and hills all can affect mileage.

Reply to
MudPuppy76

Interesting! The dealer we used said if we had a problem they would only replace the engine with something used from a wrecking yard. Lexus would not give you a new engine. I rather got the impression you would have to fight them if you had the problem. Frankly, our experience with Lexus service was OK but nothing exceptional when you consider the high prices they charge. My local Honda dealer is far superior.and has always given me top-notch service on my Prelude and other Hondas we have owned, But, I suppose that all depends on where you live.

Reply to
TWW

yeah, i think you may be right. but i'm not saying it's right by any means. each dealer is different, i hope that you don't have to fight them. however, you could always call lexus too. i always thought that lexus took care of it's customers, but sometimes, like everyone does, they drop the ball. i think that the dealers need to do some work if they're going to undo the bad rep they're getting.

Reply to
MudPuppy76

so far i haven't seen any difference between using synthetic or conventional oils, fuel additives, or watnot. high octane fuel keep the pinging to a minimum, but doesn't really affect gas mileage. keep your air filter clean, make sure your engine is tuned and maintained properly, and you should have no problems.

Reply to
MudPuppy76

Ok, cool. Since the gas light came on at 196 mi on the tank, probably poor gas mileage. I'm replacing some stuff in there anyway and adding some accessories, so I guess that may take care of it. It's definitely a nice little ride.

Reply to
Cerberus

There is a fix with the upper front strut mounts. In the 99 and 2000 models the rubber was not shaped correctly. The dealer may fix it even if out of warenty. The parts are available under $85.

luck K

Reply to
cnynctry