question on how to Replace starter on 1999 LS 400

Anyone know the process to Replace starter on 1999 LS 400?

Any schematics? Or recommendation on type of starter to purchase?

Thanks, Darren

Reply to
dt-nospam-ewing

The starter is in the valley between the cylinder banks, under the intake manifold. You will need to remove the intake manifold to get at the starter. Along with the starter, you will need a new intake manifold gasket. Flat rate time is something like 11 hours, so make sure you block out plenty of time for the project. I would get an OEM starter since you don't want to do the job more than once.

Reply to
Ray O

What a place to put it ! Do you have any shcematics for this model year?

I guess another question is how can I be sure it is my staRter? She has 110k on her so it would be time. But I want ot be sure, as the I have not been left stranded yet, she is just hinting at stranding me....

Thanks aga>

Reply to
dt-nospam-ewing

The starter location didn't seem like such a good idea to me either. Unfortunately, I do not have any schematics for this model. You can access the factory repair manuals for $10/day at techinfo.toyota.com.

The factory repair manuals will have instructions on how to test the starter and starting system.

If you are getting an occasional click and no start, then try again and it starts, then there is a good chance that the solenoid contacts are worn. Unfortunately, the solenoid is attached to the starter. You can probably get away with just replacing the contacts, but if you want to avoid having to take everything apart again, then a replacement starter might be worth the extra expense.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O