seat covers for LS-400

Where or how can I cover or replace inexpensively the front bucket seat covers and center console cover? This for a 1990 LS-400 with 200,000 miles on it. The current seats are black leather and the the driver seat is torn badly.

thanks for any tips

Reply to
trs80

Find an upholstery shop in your phone directory, google search "automotive seat covers," or try a web site like

Ray O

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 00:01:26 -0800, "trs80" graced this newsgroup with:

I'm not sure what your idea of "inexpensive" may be but this is probably one of the best places to buy complete reskinning kits for leather seats. The basic single color leather seats are around $800 for a set. But when you're done, the seats are literally new. I've seen some cars that replaced their leather with these sets and they're even *better* than OEM and significantly higher leather quality *and* you get the choice of paying a little more and getting them in different or multi color designs.

Personally, that's the direction I'd go for a complete replacement.

However, for a *very* inexpensive solution that I've done on our daughters heavilly cracked and faded OEM leather in her 94 GS300, I used this product:

It was very easy to use, cost less than a hundred bucks to repair both front AND back seats and when I was done (about two hours of work), the seats literally look NEW and have held up in very harsh, cold weather. Saved me a TON of money.

Reply to
Max

Forget it. Throw a cheap sheepskin over it and it will go another 200K.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Reply to
trs80

A gentle aside:

Be careful with "better leather" for your car seats. Higher quality leather (nice and soft) is less durable and requires more care and that is not a good thing in a car. The grade that Lexus uses is pretty durable (our '92 LS400 seats are holding up nicely, thank you, with just a bit of soiling, but no cracks).

- nopcbs

Reply to
nopcbs

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 20:33:00 -0500, "nopcbs" graced this newsgroup with:

"Durable" is subjective. The thickness or how supple leather is doesn't necessarily mean that it's "weaker".

The older leather seats in the early 90's Lexuses are thicker leather however, they've also had a higher history of cracking. The new generation of Lexuses have softer leather and, although thinner than older leather seats, are actually more durable.

Reply to
Max

Reply to
trs80