Re: IS300 Excessive Valve Noise at Startup

Hello Philip

> > I do not race the engine at startup. I do not even touch the

throttle.

The oil was changed at 1000 miles by Lexus with a Lexus oil filter in > an attempt to quiet the noise. The problem is that oil pump allows the > oil that is up in the engine to drain back into the oil pan. A

mechanic

who has fixed this problem after market told me that he has seen engines > with this problem and there are 2 possible causes -- the oil pump is > defective, or the oil pump is improperly installed. He said that either > one is a simple repair. He owns a Supra and is very familiar with > Toyota engines. > Martin >

I thought that the readers of this thread would be interested in my recent experience with a 2002 Toyota Avalon with only 12K miles - same engine as the Lexus I believe. Horrendous "rattle" from engine for a few seconds before it started. Only on first start after sitting at least 24 hours.

Dealer duplicated the problem and determined that a valve lifter (I think he should have said "follower") was worn. Part was replaced, and problem appears fixed, but it's disturbing to have such a defect at such a low mileage. Any comments?

Reply to
herman

Nope, the Avalon has a different engine than the IS300. Avalon has a V6 while the IS has an I6.

Reply to
Jeff Bertrand