Re: L$430 Slow GPS receiver

"Pete" wrote in news:5MXIa.300765$ snipped-for-privacy@news2.central.cox.net:

Uh, mine's always worked fine. It almost always has the GPS signals > locked in before I'm done backing out of the garage. > > Your issue sounds like a signal or antenna problem. My first try would > be to look for things in the car that might be blocking the GPS > signals from reaching the antenna. (If I recall it's under the parcel > shelf.) Candidates are anything metal or metallic near the antenna > that could reflect or block the signal. Second would be to look for a > source of radio-frequency interference in the car. Third would be to > ask the dealer to check it out. It's easy for him to do; there's a > hidden diagnostic screen in the NAV system that shows a lot of nice > info about signal strengths and such. > > -- Pete > > > > >> My response tie time has been terrific. I had tested the Mercedes >> system annd this beat it haands down for speed of resp>> >> >My LS430 has a problem with the GPS receiver: lately it became slow >> >in acquiring the satelites. It takes anywhere between 5 to 20 >> >minutes before it starts working. Anybody have a similar experience >> >and how to solve it? >>

Well, the dealer dealt with this problem once, and decided that my radar detoctor sitting above the display screen was interfering with the GPS. Didn't make sense, but when I meoved it another location the GPS returned to normal - locked on as soon as I backed out of my garage. Now it is acting up again, and the radar detector is not the cause. I will try the dealer, but I do not have much hope.

Regards Colin

Reply to
Col. Colin Campbell

One other thing to ask is whether you put a tint on the rear window. Some (or many) tints have a metallic additive that can attenuate the GPS signals.

"M" wrote in news:3zsJa.486363$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.central.cox.net:

No tint. Everything is in its original condition. Any other ideas?

Reply to
Col. Colin Campbell

Sorry, no additional ideas. If it worked before, but not now; then I would suspect a corroded or lose connection. The dealer is (should be) best qualified to diagnose. Best of luck.