GPS

is there anyone here who knows their way around GPS equipment and associated gubbins? I've sent an email to gps4less.co.uk but I'd also like some impartial
advice.
Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)
www.markvarleyphoto.co.uk

What do you want to know?
Peter.
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:38:25 -0000, "Peter Seddon"

I'm looking for a system that.. 1, does not cost the earth. 2, uses OS maps allowing me to work away from roads as well as on them. 3, can navigate me to street addresses. 4, mostly for in-car use but easly removable to use on-foot. 5, isn't going to interfere with my dash-mounted compass.
I'm considering one of those laptop pluggy in things working with either autoroute and/or memory-map. The only thing I have against that idea is that the wife will have to sit with the thing on her lap or it'll be sat on the seat and I'll have to look along way from the windscreen to check progress. I'm going to have a laptop with me pretty much all the time.
Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)
www.markvarleyphoto.co.uk

You need a GPS mouse, plugs into a USB port and will work directly with the two progs you mention. Anothre latrnative is TOMTOM or Ipac with GPS addon.
Peter
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:52:36 -0000, "Peter Seddon"

How important is the location of the GPS mouse thingy? could it be fixed to the laptop and so work in any rotation/location? or does it need a nice dashboard-location?
Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)
www.markvarleyphoto.co.uk

It needs a place where it can see as much sky as possible, this is true for any GPS antenna. If the car has one of those fancy quick clear front screens it wont work properly as the wires in the screen cut the signals too much. The roof is the best place, they are generally speeking waterproof.
Peter
Peter Seddon wrote:

No problem with my Disco's heated windscreen. Also worth pointing out that few GPS Mice are waterproof these days.
--
Darren Griffin
PocketGPSWorld - www.pocketgpsworld.com
Mr.Nice. wrote:

In a Landrover it needs to be on the dash as far forward as possible, GPS receivers need clear line of site to the sky for optimum satellite reception. I have one Bluetooth GPS on the dash and another wedged in the sunroof edging. Both work fine even with the heated windscreen.
Bluetooth are by far the most adaptable solutions, with no wires you can place them wherever is best, CF are not prectical in many cars so GPS Mice are the next best although wires can become an issue.
--
Darren Griffin
PocketGPSWorld - www.pocketgpsworld.com
Can any one tell me what a GPS mouse thingy is and would it be of any use for a tomtom go??
Rich
Rich wrote:

A GPS Mouse is a GPS Reciever in a mouse type package that connects to a PDA, Laptop etc via a cable, e.g. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/holuxhw.php
It would not work with a GO unit which has a built-in GPS receiver. if you have signal reception problems with the Go then you need either the external antenna accessory, see http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid84 or an GPS Re-radiating antenna, see http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/menu_rerads.php .
--
Darren Griffin
PocketGPSWorld - www.pocketgpsworld.com
Ah ok thats cleared that up thanks very much
Rich
Just ordered memory map it's on 3 DVD's so the detail level must me amazing!
something else to play with!!

Mr.Nice. wrote:

No single solution will do all that, if you intend to use a laptop then consider InfoMap Navigator as a cheap and usable voice solution for road navigation and Memory-Map for the OS stuff. You could get a laptop mount from RAM-Mounts but you need a lot of space to use them.
For a PocketPC solution, again Memory-Map for OS maps and TomTom Navigator with the excellent (and free) UKPostCode Plug-In from www.digitools.co.uk .
All the above and many more options reviewed on our site. I have recently taken delivery of a 04 Disco and kited it out with three Brodit Mounts (www.brodit.com) one on the A pillar and two on the dash for my GPS kit. I can supply a URL to photos if anyone's interested, the beauty of Brodit is they are superb mounts and require no holes drilling as they are custom designed for each vehicle and clip in or around trim..
Happy to supply impartial advice if you need it.
--
Darren Griffin
PocketGPSWorld - www.pocketgpsworld.com
message

.
Darren,
I'd love to see the photos. Have I missed a review or a "Reader's Mount" (or Staff's Mount) ?
Foxy
FireFox wrote:

No you haven't missed a review, I only got the Disco a couple of weeks ago and finally sorted out the mounts yesterday. I've knocked up a quick page with photos: http://www.griffinnet.co.uk/ppgps.htm
--
Darren Griffin
PocketGPSWorld - www.pocketgpsworld.com
message

Darren,
a) I hope you enjoy the Disco b) Very neat!! I look forward to the full write up. I'd be interested (put it in the write up, don't bother posting details here) in as much detail as possible on how the cradles "are hard wired into the fuse box".
Foxy
"Mr.Nice."wrote ...

Loads on uk.rec.walking and some are also Landy owners. There is also a proposal out for a GPS newsgroup atm.
--
Regards
Bob

buy
and
Good value? I've just bought a PDA with built in GPS, and included navigation software (falk) for 290. Does everything the tom tom does, and then some.
I prefer the "does what it says on the tin" aproach of the GO as PDA's have the habit of locking up if you fill them with other stuff - the tomtom just does sat nav and does it well. also the speaker is much better and it has a stereo mute O/P.
Steve