Roof leaking '98 es300? NOT from windshield!!

Lately, the roof of my car has been leaking (where the rear view mirror and the lights are) when it rains alot. I took it to an auto glass shop and they tell me that the the windshield is tight so the leak isn't from there. But he did mention that the sunroof has some tubes that collect the water that goes in through there and that those tubes may be clogged up, so the water is leaking. Is this true? If so, how can I check if those tubes are clogged and unclog them?

Thanks.

Reply to
VMI

Yes, the sunroof has drain tubes, and they may be clogged. The easiest way to check if the tubes are clogged is to slowly pour water down the drain and see if it comes out underneath the car. If the water doesn't drain, I'd start be looking underneath and seeing if anything is clogging the drain from underneath. If you can't see anything, you will need about 8 feet of wire to snake down the tube to dislodge any blockage.

You didn't ask where the drain tubes are, but in case you do not know, open the sunroof all the way and look into the left front and right front corners of the sunroof opening for the drains.

Reply to
Ray O

Or, you could try going to a gas station with compressed air and, being careful not to scratch your roof with the air line, blow the holes clear.

Reply to
greg

Thanks for the help. I did check the drain tubes and they are not clogged. I poured about a

1/4 gallon of water in the sunroof and the water drained out at the bottom of the car like it's supposed to. I did notice that, once I tested the sunroof and closed it (it was still draining the last bit of water), the water started dripping from the roof. After I closed the sunroof, I looked inside the car and that it was leaking again inside the car. I tried it again but it didn't work. It's as if the sunroof "pushed" the water on to the roof and it made the leak. Does anyone have any idea why this happended?

Thanks.

greg ha escrito:

Reply to
VMI

I think that the sunroof did push some of the water remaining in the tracks out on to the sunroof shade.

When the sunroof is closed, is it flush with the exterior of the roof and is the gasket sealing well?

Reply to
Ray O

The sunroof seems to be closing well. I'm still not sure how it pushes it into the roof. The only holes there are the sunroof drain tubes.

Thanks.

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
VMI

The sunroof panel is attached to guides which ride in tracks. The tracks are kind of U-shaped to act like a gutter to keep water from dripping into the passenger compartment. As the guide moves up and down the track-gutter, it can push water towards the drain.

Now that I think of it a little more, I believe that there are drains at the back corners as well but they are harder to get to.

Reply to
Ray O

I have the same problem. I first thought its the windshield but later realized that windshield seal is fine. Water usually accumulates near the sunroof motor. The water ducts looks fine and i cant even see the ones at the back of the sunroof. If you find anything new, plz let me know.

Thanks Masud

VMI wrote:

Reply to
masudul