87 maxima-sun roof leaking into cab

My first posting 11/11/2005 at 4:P.M. did not appear so I am reposting.... Dave_s

My budget is tight right now. Cannot afford to have local Nissan dealer do this repair at moment. The sunroof leaks water into the cab everytime I wash the car with my hose. Drips water in cab from sunroof opening at right and left side and at front and back.

What can I do to renew the gasket on the window insert? Same question on the body mounted gasket. Will bathroom RTV work to add missing gasket? My owners manual shows a body mounted gasket on all four sides. Actually looking, I only see that gasket on one of four sides. Could the gasket have broken on 3 sides of the four?

Owners manual shows four drain hoses. I cannot see those drain holes. The sunroof opening with rails appears to be holding water as if the drain holes are clogged.

Glass insert has glued on rubber gasket that needs cleaning and feels a bit brittle. What can I use to clean and renew that gasket? Is Vaseline able to help that old rubber seal better?

How to get a little more life and stop the leaking but keep the sunroof usable is the question.

Thanks for any help. Dave_s

Reply to
Dave_s