RX-300 T-Belt replacement?

When is timing belt due to be changed? I have a 2000 RX-300 that just hit

60K and I think that is when it is supposed to be changed? What else should I replace while in that part of the engine? Would it be better to go to the dealer for this or an independent? I am thinking dealer just incase it is done wrong, they will own up to it. I know that is kinda a negative way of thinking but I have had my share of poor auto repair. Thanks John
Reply to
Bitsbucket

I think the owner's manual specifies 90k, but the dealer we used when we had a RX 300 claimed you should have it done at 75k. We were quoted a price of $2,000 which included other belts and the water pump. The Honda Pilot, on the other hand, requires a change at 105k.

Reply to
TWW

You all just scared the %@&* out of me. I've had the timing belt changed on a Toyota, a Mazda and a Volvo each for something like a couple of hundred not thousands. There is no way that preventative maintenance on a car should cost thousands of dollars. According to the website auto.consumerguide.com the average cost of timing belt replacement for the RX300 is $425.

Gus ('99 RX 300 with 50k miles)

Reply to
Gus

I agree. The local dealer wanted to get rich. I traded on a Pilot and cut my maintenance costs significantly. Service at 15k miles only ran 109.00 on the PIlot vs close to $500 on the RX 300, for example.

Reply to
TWW