RX300 Front drive shaft replacement help

Hi, I was replacing the front right strut on this and the weight of the hub pulled the half shaft out of the engine end about a half inch. All the info I can find says this will just push back in (I hope) but theres resistance presumably against the spring clip. Whats the procedure to refit this, preferably without taking all the hub apart. Does it need a whack to get it in? and where can you whack it.

TIA JC

Reply to
Archon

Make sure that the splines on the shaft are still aligned with the differential. If you can see into the opening, check to see if the C-clip is bent out of shape. If you can't don't worry to much because it probably isn't out of shape.

Put a 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 against the wheel studs and give it a gentle tap so that the board contacts the studs evenly. A hard whack would just drive the studs out. Depending on the spacing of the studs, you can also place a couple of boards on edge between the studs, then bridge the boards with a larger board and give that a tap so that the boards on edge are contacting the top of the rotor and not the lug nuts. It shouldn't take much to get the shaft back in.

Reply to
Ray O

Hi Thanks for the reply. Helped me out, I was pretty sure there was a clip involved although all the service info I could find just says the inboard axle just "pushes in" and I wasn't too sure if whacking the whole drive from the wheel end was such a good idea but it worked...excellent. I think I will be a bit more careful doing the left side strut. Thanks again, JC

Reply to
Archon

When all else fails, break out the hammer ;-)

Watch the area where the shaft enters the differential to make sure no ATF seeps out.

Use some bailing wire or a coat hanger to pull the control arm to the transmission.

Reply to
Ray O