Help!!!! trying to remove axles from a 12 bolt differential

Picked up a 85 ram and had a set of mags from a 83 ramcharger but the bolt pattern was different, so changed front rotors no problem but the back axles has me stumped please anyone with info....Help email dhjjl @wildroseinternet.ca

Reply to
dhjjl

I'm not familiar with the axle, but there's three possibilities:

  1. C-clip axle. These are axles that are secured in the differential by pieces of metal resembling the letter "C" - hence the name. To remove these, you must first remove the differential cover, then remove the differential cross shaft (usually held in place by a bolt, but sometimes a roll pin). Once the cross-shaft is removed, push in on the axle, and remove the C-clip with needlenose pliers or a small magnet (magnet usually works best). Then simply slide the axle out of the housing. The axle bearings are pressed in to the axle housing, and if need be, can be pulled out with a slide hammer with inside fingers.
  2. Full-float axle. These axles bear no weight, and "float" inside the axle housing. They can be identified by a small flange with bolts in the center of the hub. Remove the bolts holding the axle flange in place, and just pull the axle out (may need to tap on it to break the seal between the flange and the hub). There is no axle bearing, as the axle is supported by the hub, which has it's own set of tapered roller bearings.
  3. PITA axle. I don't recall the proper name for these, but they have the outer bearing pressed on to the axle shaft, and use a retainer to clamp the bearing into the axle housing. If you see a hood-type looking piece of metal inboard of the hub, bolted to the axle housing, you may have this type. Remove the bolts holding the retainer to the housing, then using a slide hammer and adapter bolted to the axle flange/wheel studs, rap on it to pull the axle out of the housing. If you need to replace the axle bearing, you usually have to bust off the bearing retainer (smooth round piece fiercely pressed on to the axle, over top of the bearing) with a cold chisel, then press the bearing off with a large press and a bearing splitter. Press on a new bearing, and a new retainer. See why I call them a PITA? :)

If you don't see any characteristics of #2 or #3, you probably have a C-clip axle.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks I think its number 3 as I have the cover off and there are 2

3/4 inch bolts holding a clamp over a bearing and in the middle is a 7/16 inch bolt holding a smaller piece ofmetal like a hood, heres hoping the other diff is the same type and i do not have to change the whole thing for a couple of mags. thanks again. Derek
Reply to
dhjjl

It sounds like you're looking at the differential, and describing a main bearing cap and an adjuster lock. And because of that adjuster lock, and the 12-bolt cover, I'd say you have a Chrysler 9.25" axle, which is a C-clip axle. Follow instructions for #1.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence