Service

Guys, This thread is getting too long and complicated. It's virtually impossible to know who is saying what. So I'm starting a new thread.

Please sign your names after your posts so we know who is speaking, OK? Very confusing.

Now, getting back to the warranty. BMW has a 6 years warranty. The first two years covers items that wear out, like brakes. But bumper to bumper coverage for 6 years or 100K miles, whichever comes first. Now, I have had the BMW dealer service my car exclusively. I'm one of these "morons' someone spoke of that values "peace of mind" when having the dealer service the car. First of all, a Lexus or BMW is a highly technical vehicle that require expertise, training, and computerized equipment to diagnose the problem and repair. The old days of changing the spark plugs are over. And how much do you really think you are saving by going to a private garage anyway. Don't you think they KNOW how much Lexus charges, and they take may be 10% less. Are you happy with that? And you are placing your warranty in jeopardy by using an unauthorized garage anyway. I can't conceive of why someone would spend upwards of $40K on a car, and then quibble about what the service costs are. If you cannot afford the servicing of a BMW or Lexus, then you should drive a Chevy.

I'm not quite sure I follow the bit about oil changes. I hate going to Valvoline, they try to sell you extra services, and synthetic oil. I am confused. I fear that if I pick the wrong oil, the car will stop functioning. So I pay $69.99, and have BMW do it. I drive out with peace of mind. Big deal, it cost me double. I'm not going broke over it.

BMW re designed the X5 it's heavier and bigger. What sense does it make with $4.00/gallon gas (have to use high test in a BMW), and they give you a vehicle that gets less mileage, I don't know. I'm leaning toward the Lexus.

Gardis Connecticut

Reply to
Gardis

I think you're right, you probably should just drive a Chevy.

At least all the Tahoe's we've owned never had a windshield crack simply from stress, like our LS430 did. Of course the dealer replaced the glass under the warranty campaign, but I've never seen anything like that on *any* vehicle I've ever owned.

Reply to
Anonymous

SHAME !!!! You shouldn't stress out your car like that !!!!! Just what did you do to stress an LS430 anyway? I'll bet you said some bad things about it and that stressed it out and it cracked its poor little windshield !

Reply to
mcbrue

Hint: Many of the speakers don't know what they are saying. ;-)

Hi, fellow moron. I knew I wasn;t the only one. ;-)

Reply to
Lurfys Maw

"You've probably noticed that opinion pollsters go out of their way to include as many morons as possible in surveys ... I think it's dangerous to inform morons about what their fellow morons are thinking. It only reinforces their opinions. And the one thing worse than a moron with an opinion is lots of them." -- Scott Adams

In other words: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Yeah I think you're right. Just get a Toyota Lexus. It's the excellent Buick that GM couldn't build.

Reply to
johngdole

Reply to
johngdole

Sure he can get a new Chevy. It would be a better value than a Lexus. The new Tahoe hybrid 6.0L V8 can get about the same CITY MPG as a Toyota Camry 2.4L 4-cyl!!!

Reply to
johngdole

and at only $50k starting price! What a deal!

Reply to
01dyna

And 9 mpg less highway. Once again, it's interesting how you cherry pick your statistics.

So, if your idea of "better value" is better fuel economy, that same Tahoe is a better value than most Mercedes and BMWs too, isn't it?

And since you love to cut and paste articles here in a Lexus newsgroup about how well Mercedes are selling, would you argue that a Camry is really a much better car than any Mercedes or BMW, since they sell much more of them?

What do you drive, john?

Reply to
DaveW

Yeah! What DO you drive, John??

GIga

Reply to
GIga

hee hee hee I'm sure the 2008 Green Car of the Year. is worth every penny with $4/gal gas prices and said soon to be $5/gal. "The 2008 Chevy Tahoe already has best-in-class fuel economy"

johngdole