tire wear

Are Lexus tires more likely to wear tread early?

My wife's 2007 RX350 has 23000 miles and the Michelin tires are almost gone, maybe 3-4K miles left.

Dealer (tire dealer) told me that all tires on a Lexus will not get many tread miles because of the Lexus suspension design, and any tire replacement will wear down early as the Michelins did.

Is this true?

The current Michelin tires are what came on the car when purchased new in August 2006.

Thanks

Reply to
trailer

The tires installed on new Lexus are likely to wear out fairly quickly because they have a soft compound with a bias towards performance and handling.

If you buy replacement tires with a higher treadwear rating (>400), they will likely last longer than the originally installed tires.

Reply to
Ray O

Also, the tires listed for the RX350 on Michelin's site:

-- Energy LX4 has a tread wear rating of 500 (~50K miles).

-- The Latitude X-Ice is a winter tire. They do not list a tread wear rating on the site.

Reply to
john

Thanks for the replies.

The original tires on the Lexus are Michelin Energy MXV4 S8. Treadwear shows 440 on the sidewall..

I'd suggest you get your next set of tires from Costco. Look for the $70 off coupon for a set. Good service, free road hazard warranty, lifetime rotation/balance and free nitrogen fill.

Reply to
trailer

one other note.

some of the reviews on this tire (Tire Rack.com) were very good, but others indicated the same as myself, very poor mileage.

my tires are wearing evenly so I don't think alignment is a problem.

Thanks