tire "tread wear" warranty?

I have a 2001 F250 SD with the OEM 16 cheap steel wheels. I use the OEM tire size of LT235-85-R16.

I don't use real gnarly off road tires, and I don't use "strictly asphalt" tires. I think the tire type I favor is called "all terrain"......not slick, and not super aggressive.

I see when shopping for tires a wide range of mileage listed for tread wear warranty.

For instance, it's time for me to shop for new tires. One tire I see has tread wear warranty of 50,000 miles. The other tire has tread wear warranty of 60,000 miles.

In general, will the tire with the 60,000 mile tread wear warranty last 10,000 miles longer than the one with 50,000 mile warranty...before the tread is mostly worn off?

FjLee in Denver

Reply to
FjLee

higher milage tire is a better tire and should go those miles if rotated on time and pressure /alignment maintained. better rubber i guess .

ds549

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:38:59 -0700, FjLee rearranged some electrons to say:

In general, yes. The rubber compound is more resistant to wear.

Reply to
david

Unless the regulations have changed, the tread wear warranty means that the tread on the tire will not wear below 2/32 inch in the mileage stated. 2/32 inch is considered worn out by Fed standards... The tire with the higher mileage warranty is usually made from a rubber compound that is harder (ergo takes longer to wear) than a lower rated tire. Performance tires, such as those recommended for Vipers, 'Vettes, etc., commonly have a tread wearout warranty of around 30k miles or so. Softer, stickier rubber compound that wears more.

Dave D

Reply to
Dave and Trudy

Different compound rubber.