Turn Signal Sound

I have a 2005 Lexus ES330, and my wife has a 2004 Camry. On both cars, the turn signals sound is so low that we frequently forget to turn this off. It's very annoying to us and other drivers. Before buying another Lexus or other Toyota product, I'll be sure to first check to see if the turn signal is loud enough. If not, I'll find another brand that doesn't have that defect. Al

Reply to
Al

Al,

I recall somebody here or some other Lexus forum mentioning that there is a volume control located somewhere up in the vicinity of the ignition switch area of the dashboard which adjusts the audio level for the directional signals as well as other alert / alarm sounds.

If this is correct, then perhaps a simple adjustment to increase the volume a bit may be all that you need.

Can anyone here confirm the ability to adjust this control and tell us where it is located?

Reply to
Smarty

You shouldn't ever have to. When you click it down for a hard turn and then you make the turn, they turn off automatically when you straighten the wheel.

When you use them for a lane change, you don't have to click them down hard--just push a bit and hold, the signal will come on, nudge yourself over to the next lane, then take your finger off and release pressure and it will turn off.

You are clearly doing something wrong if your turn signal remains on when you don't want it to and this is a very common situation for you.

At the very least, you're not DRIVING THE CAR. Yes, that means paying attention to the controls. If you can't remember four seconds later that you turned the signal on and now it's time to turn it off, you shouldn't be on the road. Cars and driving require that you pay attention to what you're doing at all times.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty
>> Can the volume on the following sounds be increased on the 2004 ES? >> >> - Confirmation chime when you lock the doors with the keyless entry >> device >> >> - Blinkers (directional signals) >> >

--------------080308000403080202060505--

Reply to
Smarty

- If you are not paying attention to driving the car now, why would a louder sound change anything....you would ignore it also.

Reply to
Wayne

It seems a couple of people participating in this discussion are quick to criticize but have missed the point (or aren't old enough to know better). It's not a matter of not being a good enough driver or not paying sufficient attention. The point is that the auto manufacturers include a ticking noise with the direction signal for a very good reason - to remind you that it's on, since a good driver will turn on the turn signal for more than just 3 to

5 seconds before turning and will then consentrate on "driving." If the ticking sound of the turn signal isn't loud enough, it will fail in its purpose. However, such an obvious fact isn't quickly apparent to some individuals who ironically think they're so bright. Al PS - I also notice that on my Lexus you have to turn the wheel just about to a 90 degree turn for the turn signal to go off. On other cars I've owned, it takes less of a turn. Since having and using the turn signal is an important safety feature, the defect I described could result in some accidents notwithstanding the rationalizations of some people.
Reply to
Al

Yes, it is.

There is exactly zero excuse for you NOT to be driving your car at all times. That includes knowing where your controls are at all times.

As I explained previously, using the turn signal stalk is not rocket science, and does not require loud sirens or flashing strobe lights in your eyes to remind you that it's on.

Tell us this: why don't you KNOW that it's on, when it's YOU who turned it on and it's YOU who have the responsibility to turn it off or to make sure it turns off? What does SOUND add to any of this?

Why turn it on if you don't want it on?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Tell us all how, when you click your turn signal ON to make a complete

90 degree turn, it doesn't automatically turn off--AND how you FORGOT that you just made a turn and therefore the CONTROL needs to be RESET to OFF?
Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Why have a sound at all?

Reply to
David Z

So ANGRY you are! Did you catch your wee wee in your zipper again?

GIga

Reply to
GIga

Al,

So I guess we should forbid all deaf people from driving since they will never hear the clicking sound. Turn signals both make a sound and flash a light when they are signaling a turn. Everybody will forget to turn off their turn signal once in a while, but it's not unreasonable to expect people to be able to figure out their turn signal is on without extra loud clicking noises and flash bulb bright visual signals.

Bob

Reply to
bob

First of all, I am plenty old enough to get the point :) Many people live their life in a state of "code white"....not paying attention to what they are doing when driving, walking down the street, swimming, etc. etc. etc. As another poster pointed out, making turns consists of a series of steps which include cancelling the turn signal, if you have actually locked it in the left or right position. A sound is not even required. If you need that sound to remind you of the blinker state, you are not paying attention, and will probably also ignore a louder signal.

However, I don't begrudge your having as loud a reminder as you want.

In the old days, we used hand signalling for turns. After making the turn, I always remembered to bring my arm back in the window. :)

Reply to
Wayne

The clicking sound from the turn signal was not originally designed in or included on purpose. The sound is a byproduct of the mechanism used to turn the electrical current on and off. Inside the turn signal flasher housing is a bimetallic switch, which is a piece of metal that heats up when current is flowing through it, and the shape of the metal piece makes it move away from the contact when it is hot. The metal makes a sound like what you get when you crumple an aluminum soda can, and the movement away from the electrical contact interrupts the electrical current. With no current flowing through the metal, it cools and the metal pops back and touches the contact again, repeating the process.

Before the widespread use of plastic, the housing around the turn signal flasher was made of metal, which transmitted the sounds of the popping bimetallic switch well. The flashers in modern cars have plastic housings, and a sturdy housing with a thicker plastic casing will muffle the sound more than a thinner plastic housing so ironically, a cheaper housing will result in a louder clicking sound than a more expensive housing.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray O, Thanks for your informative reply. It's nice to have knowledgeable and informative people in this forum besides those who are quick to criticize and find fault with others. I do have one question, though. If I had a choice between the old version and the new, I would take the old since the louder clicking seems safer and cheaper. Do you know of some good reason why the manufacturer doesn't do that that?

Al PS-To those who question whether my driving ability is good enough, I will merely state that I've been driving for over 50 years and there isn't a soul who has ever been injured due to my driving. I can't remember the last time I got a ticket for a moving violation, and I'm rated by auto insurance companies in the very lowest premium bracket. I would think that's plenty good.

Reply to
Al

That's irrelevant.

That you don't know the status of your controls, despite your having set them yourself mere moments ago PLUS them having lighted displays on your dashboard, means you are a menace to everyone else on the road.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

No response from Mr. Nasty?! How unusual.

Perhaps he doesn't know why there's a sound. Or perhaps he doesn't want to say why. I presume the latter.

Reply to
David Z

Dear nasty, There's an old Chinese proverb that goes something like, "only a fool argues with one who cannot be persuaded." Have a nice day!

Al

Reply to
Al

That doesn't change the fact that you are a menace to other drivers.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Nothing will change the fact that you're a flaming asshole.

Reply to
David Z

Apparently, in David Z's world speaking the truth makes one a "flaming asshole".

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty