Check Engine: VSC lights on

2003 Highlander with 51,000 miles.

Both Check Engine and VSC lights are on. Manuals says take to Toyota dealer. Meanwhile OK to drive.

I have tried the ABS system on loose gravel and the brakes feel and sound like they are functioning OK.

Any ideas what might be causing the lights to go on? I have had the vehicle for a week. No idea of age of battery or service record.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

Update:

Had engine codes read:

P0441 Evap Emission Control System Purge Flow Fault

P0446 Evap Emission Control System Vent Circuit Malfunction

P0441 as above

P0442 Evap Emission Control System ... leak (small)

P0446 as above

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

After finding out the codes, we reset the codes via an option on the reader. Both check engine and VSC lights are out for the moment.

I checked to make sure the gas cap is on tight. Have also checked the hoses coming from the air cleaner housing.

Any other suggestions?

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

Thanks. I've only had the vehicle a week now and have put gas 2x into tank. I will be more attentive to tightening the gas cap. Will report back if lights go on again.

I have read that sometimes the lights could indicate either a charcoal canister or its associated sensor. let's hope it's no more than a loose gas cap.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

Thanks again. Will check the cap and make sure gasket and where it seats are both clean and smooth. May even put o-ring lubricant just to be sure.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

Take the car to a Toyota dealer. The repairs may be covered by the emissions warranty. I doubt if a loose gas cap caused all those trouble codes, there is probably a problem with one of the evaporative emissions valve.

Reply to
Ray O

I've got to agree with Jeff. S. My one hour at the Toy dealer to find out that my multiple error codes were based on a loose gas cap cost me $88 labor, and the problem never returned....believe me, I give the gas cap another couple of twirls now!

Reply to
mack

Thanks for the help AND reassurance. I am still in GMC pickup mode, the vehicle I had before the Highlander. Will be more careful and definitely will listen for the clicks.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

For the record, problem was not the gas cap. It was a disconnected/loose vacuum hose to the filter box.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl