Which Gasoline Grade in GS300?

Are we risking damage to our engine by not using the highest grade of gas?

We've been using the mid-grade of gas in our 1999 300GS since it was new. We drive about 12,000 miles a year with an 80/20 mix of city/highway miles.

Reply to
Phil

No. The engine computer will adjust timing, etc. as needed to prevent engine damage.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

And not once did you bother to crack the owner's manual.

I think that falls under the "more money than brains" category.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Elmo doesn't seem to have a working email address, but here is what I tried to write to him:

Elmo, Thanks for your thoughtful remarks regarding my use of mid-grade gas in a Lexus 300G.

Actually, we did read the manual cover to cover several times, but being an engineer, I wondered if the computer engine control would automatically adjust the timing, etc, to compensate for lower octane without harming the engine. One Lexus mechanic, on the condition that he wouldn't ever admit saying so, assured me that the computer would compensate the lower octane, but that the mileage might be lower.

I carefully checked the mileage for the first six months using the highest grade gas, and then for the next five and a half years using mid-grade. There was no significant difference. The car now has almost 80,000 miles on it, and is purring as good as the day it was new. The only mechanical problem to date was a leaking water pump - replaced by the Lexus dealer at no cost.

Not bad for a brain-dead owner, don't you think? BTW, not having a lot of money has never been one of my problems. I actually bought the Lexus because it is a more cost-effective car to own than many cheaper automobiles. And a lot more pleasurable to drive.

Reply to
Phil

[...]

You could do what I do. I put in 50% 93 octane and 50% 87 octane to get 90.5 which is close enough to the recommended 91. Sometimes I even tweak it a bit toward the 93 to really get 91. It requires two credit cards at the pump (it won't allow you to use the same card twice in a short period of time), and you have to learn how many gallons are required from the various points on the fuel gauge. Not a big deal. The cost ends up being the same as for "mid grade" which is merely 89 octane in most places. In other words, for a little extra work, you can get 90.5 octane for the same price as 89 octane.

Yeah, I squeeze the buffaloes and drive a Lexus. A contradiction? I would argue that this is HOW I GOT TO DRIVE a Lexus!

Reply to
D.D. Palmer