'03 Ford Focus Diesel-apparent flooding

i was driving home the other night and as present diesel prices have gone through the roof i was driving very carefully ie with an eye to
fuel conservation. as i pulled away from traffic lights the engine cut out and would not restart.i tried over and over to start the engine but apart from a few coughs it would not go.i called for roadside assistance and sat waiting for them to arrive. after about 15 mins i decided to give it one last try and the engine started as if there had been no problem at all.my question is, is it possible to flood a diesel engined car and could this be what happened?
p bennett

Not possible to "flood" it.
Tim..
paulbennett wrote:

no, you can't 'flood' a diesel. the reason petrol cars 'flood' and won't go is because the plugs get wet with neat fuel, and because petrol won't burn ouside quite tight fuel to air mixes.
with a diesel all you need is plenty of air getting in, enough compression and some diesel being squirted in at the right time.
usually a diesel that cuts out and won't go has some significant problem, on later diesels often it is the electronics on the pump. (very common on focus)

Shouldn't be allowed to take a driving test if you can't capitalise a single word.

Was it Watt Tyler or somebody called Graham who led the Pedant's Revolt. (Hope this hasn't sailed straight over your tiny head)

Was it Watt Tyler or somebody called Graham who led the Pedant's Revolt. (Hope this hasn't sailed straight over your tiny head)
Its difficult to read, that is why we devised capital letters at the start of each sentence, not to mention punctuation. Its designed to make the words you write, readable, which is in YOUR interest. Its very easy to learn how to type or write correctly. There are so many examples in front of us. As for me, I couldn't give a damn what anyone else thinks as I am always right :-)
Graham

Fine, you can start your own newsgroup, uk.rec.graham & talk to yourself then, save the rest of us from annoyong you.
Graham wrote:
[...]

There are less aggressive ways of indicating to someone that their post isn't written correctly. For example:
http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk /

A statement that applies to more than 50% of posters, sadly.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

dONT pOST here If all you want to do is show what a prat you are
Try and be pleasent, treat people the way YOU would like to be treated

Calls me a prat and then suggests I should be pleasant and treat people the way I want to be treated. Is this the limited level of intelligence we have fallen too.
I like being told when I am seriously deficient in some area. How else can I learn? At least the OP will now be aware of his short comings, even if he can't understand it fully yet. Who knows, I might have increased his chance of getting a job. You won't get far sending out a CV like that.
Like many others, I get a very poor impression of text speak and lazy typing. From the readers point of view, it gives the impression a child wrote it.
I expect more abuse from the limited intelligence on offer. Do your worst. Its pathetic.
Graham
Graham wrote:

Is this the limited level of

Pedant mode on.
That should be 'to' as in 'go to a place', not 'too' as in 'another scoop of ice cream would be too much to eat'
Pedant mode off.
Mrcheerful

Oh do shut up - idiot. You're one for the spam filter. Do yourself a favour, go and find another newsgroup to seek attention in.

Tommy, you forgot to use your spell and grammar checker on this post. The one you made a short while ago on the transport group was actually legible, a first for you!
Mike P
Mike P wrote:

Just play nicely boys! It's Friday!
Tony

Another newsgroup idiot. You know nothing about cars, can't even give a constructive answer to help anyone else and just seem to want to test your newsreader. You're probably the type that will put your own email address on a spam list so you can pretend people email you! Sad sad person. Go to alt.test if you have nothing constructive to post.
To the person that asked about the focus. It will be something to do with the ECU, you can buy a code reader to give you a clue as to where to start looking for the problem. Fault codes are not always accurate in identifying the cause, you still need to trace it in a logical manner. Think about how the diesel flows through the pump in to the injectors etc. Did any warning light come on? Did the car go in to a "limp home" mode limiting the revs? Is your air filter clogged preventing air from getting in etc etc. You can't flood a diesel, so it tends to be the diesel pump or anything controlling it. I can't remember if they are mechanical or electronic on those. Some cars have a pump near the tank and a mechanical one linked to the engine. You need to try and narrow it down. Avoid the main dealer unless you want to spend hundreds while they guess what is wrong.

I have a '02 Focus TDCI Ghia, ( and I've been getting 65mpg indicated out of mine all week ! This saves me a small fortune. )
Anyway, mine sometimes stalls if you pull away with out enough revs, it's the ECU protecting the engine. I have had occasional hot starting problems too. For some reason twice when my car share buddy tried to start the car hot, it made a clattering sound and did not start ! It's never done this for me though. Also did you try re-inserting the key ? Sometimes the transponder in the key does not register correctly with the ECU and you get the engine turning over but not starting. Did you notice the red LED on the dash was lit or not ? Other than that perhaps it was an intermittent problem on the electronics.. might just be a one off ?
I have been very pleased with mine over all, best car I have ever had by miles.

He could be releasing the ignition key a fraction too early for the diesel to properly start. Another way to mask this is to hot start with a depressed accelerator..