1.8 CVH bit rattly at top.

1.8CVH in a Sierra (Says its done 78000, but?). Had it since Feb. Does a motorway trip every two weeks, but little else. Now getting a tap, tap, tap from top of engine I didn't have at first, not a gentle tick, a slight bit louder than that, but not alarming either. Defiantly more of a tap than a tick. Can't hear it inside car, so not loud or anything. Do they go on like this for ages, or is it something I should worry about? Usual 75-85 on motorway and extended periods at 85 on long desolate empty roads when I travel back home at night. I have heard the oil feed pipes to the top of engine can get a bit clogged on this engine. I use a non-brand 15W40 oil. This car is an eBay special and cost me £200 last Feb, but after having a good look around the body and underside, its in very good nick compared to other Sierra's I've seen, so worth taking a bit of care of this one maintenance wise. Also got it MOT'ed it last month so worth keeping it running at least until next summer.

Should I worry about engine failing or just turn up the radio and forget it? :-)

Regards

-- bucket

Reply to
bucket

try a change to formula e oil, it is thinner, it may clear a sticky tappet (which is what you appear to be describing)

Reply to
mrcheerful

That checks out as often the tapping goes after three minutes running car on drive, mind you, I also hear it when pulling up after a after a long journey too. Not in car, needs window open to hear it.

I don't know what formular e oil is. Is it expensive? Thought occurs. Probably stupid. I do have a gallon of flushing oil. Would a quarter pint of that thin it, or would that be a silly thing to do? Understandably I don't want to wreck engine just yet, but a small amount of experimentation/risk is ok given the value and age of car (H reg).

-- bucket

Reply to
bucket

formula e oil is fords own, it is about 22 quid for 5 litres, it is now standard for everything ford including diesels.

I am not a lover of flushing oil on old engines, sometimes it disturbs enough to block things, regular changes with good oil are a better bet.

Some people say put a small amount of ATF fluid in to ease a stuck tappet.

I like oil changes as they don't hurt things.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Bloody hell, Form E is around 15quid here!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

They all do that, sir. It's the beginnings of the 'CVH Death Rattle'.

Reply to
SteveH

Cheers for advise on this one.

Yes Tim, It does look fairly clean looking in the oil filler. I think I will go with the oil/filter change and some ATF. I did change it back in Spring, but has got a lot darker on dip stick since, even though its only done about

2500 miles of motorway-only driving since the change. All understood about the flushing oil. I knew it was a dumb idea!! To be honest the reason I still have it is I didn't fancy putting it in my van engine as felt the bits it dislodged might be more trouble than its worth (6 cyl diesel engine).

Thanks for advise mrcheerful. The sticky tappet sounds like the problem as sometimes it taps away and sometimes it doesn't. I will pass on the formular e at the moment as its a bit too rich for my pocket. As its basically an old banger (although very smooth, hardly any rust and nice to drive), I can't run to large maintenance costs. I'll be honest, its now getting topped up with Lidl £6.95 litre 15W/40 and unless anyone screams blue murder that this oil is lucifer in liquid form, I will use it for the oil changes too.

Many thanks to all Rgds

-- bucket

Reply to
bucket

It growls a little from the bottom end at 2250rpm under load, so its got a limited milage ahead of it, but live in hope it will make it until next Summer. Only does 3000-5000 a year, so hopefully low milage will drag out its final death roll. :-)

-- bucket

Reply to
bucket

Typo. Obviously meant £6.95 for 5 litres.

Reply to
bucket

Out of interest. What is it about auto fluid that helps? Does it have some cleaning/redex type additive??

Just curious.

-- bucket

Reply to
bucket

Yes, I can get it for that here in Essex, but they charge punters about 22 !!

Reply to
mrcheerful

High detergent concentration- it will keep the crud in suspension.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Will give it an oil/filter change tomorrow and add a bit of the fluid too.

Thanks

Reply to
bucket

You could just change the lifters, last time I bought some they were about £20 for 4 (there are 8 in your engine), it's a really easy DIY job and only takes half an hour. Take an educated guess as to where about on the cam the noise is coming from and change the 4 lifters nearest to the noise, if the noise is still there change the other 4 lifters with the 4 you took out. Or you could but all 8 and sort it one hit..

Reply to
Fred

"Fred" > bit

this is a man who thinks lidl own brand oil is an investment in engine longevity, spending 40 quid on tappets is like telling him to gold plate the bonnet, it ain't gonna happen.

Reply to
mrcheerful

Oh contraire! This is a man who knows not to throw good money after bad. Budget oil won't harm an old engine like this £200 squid Sierra and far better for it than not changing the oil at all.

-- bucket

Reply to
bucket

That Lidl oil has quite a good rating IIRC - Certainly nothing like as bad the nasty Roadkill 5 quid a gallon crap various places sell.

Reply to
Stuffed

Paging Stuart (Tunku?) - he did basically that with an old Volvo over the course of about 100,000 miles!

Reply to
AstraVanMan