Ford Sierra CVH 1.8

Just inherited a Sierra 1.8 with I understand a CVH engine. It has unfortunatel not been run for about 18 months.

The car is in remarkably good condition for its age and well worth keeping going. The only fault appears to be that there is a great deal of smoke from the engine although it starts and drives very well indeed.

At tickover there is no discernible smoke but as the revs rise it becomes rather like a destroyer making a smoke screen.

We suspect that the problem is valve stem oil seals having dried out during standing. Two questions.

1) Is this a likely cause?

2) How difficult a job is it to replace these? Are any special tools likely to be needed.

Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.

Reply to
George Hendry

May be valve seals. Easy to do on this engine, you need : Air line with spark plug adapter hose (to keep the valves shut) CVH valve compressor Normal tools. Gasket and seals.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

When I did my 1.6 CVH, I didn't bother doing this, I cheated, and rotated the crankshaft, so that the cylinder I was working on was on TDC, so the valves rested on the crown.

Some of the original seals were as hard as steel though. They were a bastard to take out.

Engine seemed to work OK afterwards :-)

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I use a special pair of pliers designed for removing valve seals, it would be worth modifying some ordinary pliers if the seals are really locked on, the grip ends have a sort of crescent on each jaw which grip at the base of the seal.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I'm probably wrong, but it doesn't sound like the valve stem seals to me.

The valve stem seals tend to give smoke on startup and for a few miles then it dies down - not gets worse.

IMHO, it's more likely to be the piston rings. But I'm probably wrong ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

It has

worth

great

well

rise it

dried out

special tools

shut)

Or the simple old fashioned way without an airline etc, is to feed a length of thickish cord through the plug hole of a cylinder at the bottom of the compression stroke. Wind the piston up with a spanner on the crank pulley nut until the cord is compressed onto the valves. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

A better indication of worn valve stem seals, is if the exhaust smokes when the accelerator is applied after deceleration or when changing gear. Oil gets sucked in on the overun, and gets burnt as you accelerate again. Best seen by someone following you. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G
[...]
[...]

Quite. My Golf would smoke horrendously after a period of overrun. It was the breather that was blocked and nothing else.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Right lets think about it: At night when the car is turned off oil runs down the worn stems. if this was the problem you would get blue smoke when one first starts the engine from cold. . Though these stems maybe worn I have a feeling its the oil rings. lots and lots of blue smoke all the time tells me this.

Bill

Reply to
Bill