1800 Zetec minor random clatter on startup

S'pose it might be a follower (though it doesn't really sound like it IYSWIM) - if it is I'll leave it alone and develop some patience ;)

Description below if you want to read it ;)

Lee

I've got a Mk1 Mondeo 1800 Zetec which has a weird (but minor) clatter coming from the area of the timing cover only on first start up from cold and lasts around 30secs if left idling - a bit longer if driving straight off. It sounds like a couple of small ball bearings have been dropped into No1 cylinder. Timing belt and tensioner have been changed, (due anyway) but made no difference. Always had 5W30 S/S since I've had it and the clatter is relatively recent.

If I drive straight off, with the clatter, the thing runs like the mixture is weak but after a couple of miles is fine. If I wait until the clatter stops, then the thing is fine.

Reply to
Lee

Hydraulic tappets? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

It has, and that's what I thought, but rather than a repeating "tap" it's more random. Like shaking an aerosol paint can kind of noise. It's got 99500 on the clock, so perhaps it's storing something up for when it clicks over... ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Lee wrote in news:T3Iui.5747$mZ5.3862 @newsfe6-win.ntli.net:

Broken piston ring? Worn bore? Does it smoke at start up? Could just be a follower not getting up to pressure due to a partial blockage? Dunno really. Get new oil and proper filter?

Reply to
Tunku

Ignoring your other points, from your description it does sound very much like a tappet. Could it be that the oil filter, if a non Ford one, lacks the one valve to retain the oil in the oil galleries?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

AIH it is a non-ford filter but it was doing it with the Motorcraft one anyway :(

Unless it gets worse, I'll just put up with it :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Strangely (sadly?) I was browsing Mad Moles Mondeo site earlier and this rang a bell - have a look on here, near the bottom:

Under 'Pulse Air Injection' it describes a bit of enginery that operates for the first 20 seconds or so and when knackered produces a 'loud clacking noise, like valve rattle'...

Reply to
PC Paul

PC Paul wrote in news:eWKui.3984$cw7.993 @text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Good Call Paul.

Reply to
Tunku

Thanks. But soooo sad that it was in my head at all...

Reply to
PC Paul