1994 Rover 220 SLi rear brakes 'inefficient' - cost of calipers?

Further to my previous post re: failing the MOT, and the helpfull replies from the likes of Stu, Conor, Powerstation... The car failed again on the re-test with the new pads, and having tried some of the tips received. So I am now thinking the rear calipers will need to be replaced. Anyone got an idea of how much a garage will charge for this? Graham

Reply to
GTS

Hour labour per side plus cost of parts.

Reply to
Conor

=============================== Is there a separate pressure regulating valve in the system? If so have you had it checked?

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

There is a pressure regulating valve, it sits under the brake fluid reservoir - however because the parking brake also fails the MOT tests, and is not linked to the hydraulic system, the problem seems localised to the rear brakes... Graham

Reply to
GTS

"GTS" wrote in news:%3Luh.16922$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-win.ntli.net:

Sorry to hear it failed again :-(

Replacing calipers isn't usually cheap, unfortunately. They're £64 +VAT each from brakeparts.co.uk, it that's any help.

On the plus side, replacing them isn't a difficult job and you may consider attempting the job yourself *if*, and only if, you're competent to bleed the hydraulic system afterwards. This can be done with an assistant, but a one man bleeding kit (a few quid from you local motor factors) makes the job much quicker and easier.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Usually I would attempt it myself, although I have only replaced worn pads before, but at present my hand is pinned following a bike accident - it's really frustrating but I just cannot do a lot one-handed! Thank you for the info though - I did see a lot of the places selling calipers on-line offer a trade-in discount for the old calipers - about £40 each. Not sure if any garage will pass that along though... Graham

Reply to
GTS

=============================== I think you've misunderstood the terms.

Many firms will offer an exchange service whereby they will sell you a reconditioned unit at a certain price. That price is (say) £50-00 plus

*your old unit* . When you buy they will add a surcharge of (say) £40-00 making a total of (say) £90-00. This is to ensure that you can have the new unit to fit before you remove the old unit and this enables you to keep your car on the road. When you return the old unit you'll get a refund of the surcharge provided that the old unit is in a suitable condition for reconditioning. If you don't return the old unit you lose the deposit / surcharge and the price is then effectively £90-00.

It would be different if you were buying new units but then the price would probably be much higher.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero