1995 Mondeo...... No spark

Hi As the title would suggest, I have got a 1995 Mondeo which seems to have finally given up the ghost. It has been playing up for 3 weeks now, taking its time to start in the mornings. But this morning it would not start at all. Took the spark plug out to check for a spark, but nothing. Any advice would be helpfull, I am thinking it is the coil pack, but have never had to touch the car in 4 years so am a little bit in the dark. Have also checked for fuel and that is fine.

Thanks for your time

Regards

Ron

Reply to
coys

Check the leads first. Worth replacing them as matter of course anyway. Check points for this are coil pack and crank sensor. Crank sensor is located at the bottom right hand side (gearbox end, radiator side) of the block, and faces the back of the flywheel. Cam sensor on these is only used for the sequential injection.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Don't suppose you're anywhere near Bradford ? I have a spare set of leads and a coilpack, just to check....

Reply to
Tony Bond

In message , Sandy Nuts writes

Its only used at start up (for sequential injection as you say) but if its not giving out a signal , I don't think it will start. You can disconnect it while the engine is running and it will continue to run.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Thanx Guys I have just amnaged to replace the coil pack and all the leads by borrowing a known working one, but still no spark. I am now thinking on crank sensor, just hope its nothing worse than that. My neighbour is a ford mechanic, so I have been round to pick his brains, he is going to pick a crank sensor up tomorrow at work and fit it Friday night. Fingers crossed

Thanx 4 your time

Ron

Reply to
coys

Is there an engine management light that illuminates prior to crank? If so, does it still light? Check to make sure it's not something silly like a blown fuse for the ECU.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Hi Just fitted the crank sensor but still no spark, so I have now changed the crank sensor, coil pack, and suppresor behind the coil pack. Checked the earths as best I can and also checked the fuses, only thing left is the ecu, trouble being to get one from the local scrappy is =A375, if its not the ecu then this starts to get expensive, money which I cannot realy afford. Any Ideas welcome.

Regards

Ron

Reply to
coys

Which light will show the engine managment system prior to crank

Ron

Reply to
coys

Which light will show the engine managment system prior to crank

Ron

---------------

Very odd! The spark isn't actually ECU induced. Your vintage Mondeo has an EDIS system, which is separate from the ECU itself. It's a self contained ignition system that operates independently. It might be a faulty EDIS unit (it's a black, audit cassette sized module with a large plug that sticks into it with EDIS4 etched in it, located in the engine bay).

The light will be an orange lamp that is illuminated on IGN II, but not with the engine running

Sandy Nuts

Is there any way of testing the edis unit. Could the fault also be the ignition relay ?

Regards

Ron

Reply to
coys

Hi Just fitted the crank sensor but still no spark, so I have now changed the crank sensor, coil pack, and suppresor behind the coil pack. Checked the earths as best I can and also checked the fuses, only thing left is the ecu, trouble being to get one from the local scrappy is £75, if its not the ecu then this starts to get expensive, money which I cannot realy afford. Any Ideas welcome.

Umm I presume you already checked the main relay and that the ECU is actually powered up?? (rough and ready test is to check for 5v on pin 2 of a sensor such as TPS / CPS / AFM )

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Have just linked fuse 4 from the engine fuse box to the the live on the battery and the cars starts every time, Just not certain if fuse 4 links down to the glove box fuse box ignition relay, this would make sense to me but I am no expert...

Ron

Reply to
coys