mondeo 1.8i no spark

A young female friend of my daughter's turned up in an X plate mondeo which was running on 3 cylinders.

A quick check revealed there was no spark on the most offside cylinder but the plug worked ok in another cylinder. A check with a timing light showed an erratic trigger for the light in the lead but still no spark. Swapping the lead to another point on the coil pack gave a spark.

So it looks like one point on the coil pack is not providing enough power to spark the plug.

Are there any other things to check before I suggest she buys a new coil pack (25 quid).

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Yeah. Buy a new set of genuine HT leads at the same time, and check the plug gaps.

Reply to
moray

coil packs are common faults, so much so, that the aa/rac carry em on their vans

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

Yes, regap the plugs to 0.8mm (replacement will be better) replace the leads with genuine Ford ones, and the coil pack with an OE one too. Then pray that she hasnt run around too much so as to melt the cat with unburnt fuel.

Also check the wiring under the coil pack is properly cable-tied and hasnt dropped down onto the EGR tube and begun to melt.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..