1997 1.4 polo idle problem

1997 1.4 cl petrol polo won't idle when engine cold. It starts first turn but when you take foot off throttle engine immediately dies. Anyone seen this before ?
Reply to
ncs

The trottle body may need cleaning, and if it's one of those motorised ones, re-aligning with VAG-COM. Your first step should be to get the fault codes read though. Does it run ok when warm and start OK?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Has the battery been flat or disconnected?

Like I said, your first step should be to get the codes read. If an alignment is needed, you need the same equipment as for a code read- VAG-COM or a dealer computer.

It could be a coolant temp sensor, or it could just be the alignment- I don't know if a 1997 car has a motorised throttle body, but the Ross-Tech page suggests it might.

More info:

Chris Bartram

I had one doing this, I changed the crank sensor and that fixed it. YMMV. It also needed a second lambda sensor, but I didn't bother with that.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Have cleaned throttle body and now engine starts first turn and idles when cold but will not idle when warm - any ideas anyone ?

Am selling the car so don't want to spend much money fixing it

Reply to
ncs

have a check for air leaks, use a stick to hold the throttle open enough to keep it running, use some carb cleaner spray to spray over all the inlet system, if you get any changes in engine speed there is a leak. other likely culprits for the problem are faulty coolant temp sender, faulty egr valve or idle valve

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Nedavno Mrcheerful napisa:

I've seen this advice quite a few times, I tried that when I was trying to fix my Audi. How noticeable is engine speed change? +/- 50rpm? Or

100rpm? Not that I was looking at the dash, but I could not notice any change.
Reply to
Yvan

you will hear the change, depends on how bad the leak is as to how many rpm goes up. if the leak is only on one cylinder you will hear it run better, etc. A digital tachometer will show it up nicely, a needle one maybe not.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Nedavno Mrcheerful napisa:

OK, thanks. I'll need to get one digital tachometer... Or perhaps I'll find schematics on the Internet, and go DIY way...

Reply to
Yvan