1997 Mk 2 Mondeo, Alarm problem.

It's 12:45 am as I start to write this and the car's alarm had just gone off again, for the third time tonight. Why?

It's -4/5 C outside, dry but heavy frost. No snow here on the South Coast at the moment. All the windows are closed, the doors all closed, the boot too. The battery is strong, albeit not new any more. It only happens at night, when it gets very cold. But not every night. WHAT is setting it off?

Just to make life awkward, the manual doesn't show a way the alarm can be isolated without leaving the doors unlocked. Thats what I'll do next time it goes off, this being a very low crime area.

Any clues or tips?

Goodnight.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Condensation?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

What are you doing awake this time of night? :)

But if it was condensation, where would it be condensing to activate the alarm, eh?

Reply to
Mike Barnard

the bonnet switch is the most common alarm fault on mondeos.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

G'morning.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

I'm normally awake at 1:00

The door switches.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Mike Barnard brought next idea :

The bonnet switch is the most common one for false triggering due to being in a very exposed location. You might try bypassing that. If it persists, to stop the noise you could try disconnecting the sounder, but the lights will still flash and it may flatten your battery.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Open the bonnet and you'll see on the front slam panel the pin that tells the car if the bonnet is open or not. It's in a big squidgy rubber boot. Tap that repeatedly quite quickly until you hear a confirmation beep from the alarm horn. Then open and close all the car doors one by one. You should hear a beep from the horn when you open a door. Same with the boot. Any door that doesn't cause the beep is likely to be the culprit. You may have to tap the under bonnet pin if you don't get around the car in time to put it back in test mode. It'll beep to let you know it's gone back to 'normal' mode after a minute or so. Also try locking and unlocking each door manually. It should beep when you do that as well.

Reply to
Pete M

It was on my mk2.

MattF

Reply to
MattF

I don't know about the hatches and saloons, but the alarm sounder on my estate was in the boot - when mine started causing problems I disconnected the sounder

Reply to
TTT