Mondeo Door Locking Problem

I have an R Reg Mondeo HB and yesterday noticed a couple of things that I'm sure weren't like that recently. First thing I noticed when I parked up to go fishing was that having locked the car and set the alarm( indicators flashing) I could still open the nearside rear passenger door ,setting the alarm off naturally .What I had to do was turn the alarm off,open the opposite passenger door and lock the offending door from the inside then shut the doors and set the alarm ...all doors were then locked .

The other thing I found ( not sure why I tried this ) was that when I was in the car and locked the drivers door(and all the others as well of course) by pushing the lever inwards I could not then unlock them by pulling the lever.I had to use the key fob to unlock the doors .I don't normally lock the doors when using the car but I have done it a couple of times and operating the lever I am sure unlocked them all.

It seems likely that something in that rear passenger door is causing the problem but any ideas guys ? I guess for some time I may have been leaving the car with one door unlocked unbeknown to me ..

-------------- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

Stuart B gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Sounds about right - I'd expect most cars of that age to have deadlocking.

Probably just a sticky solenoid or lock in that door or fractured wiring in that door shut.

Reply to
Adrian

mondeos often suffer from stiff external handles, they stay slightly up instead of springing right down, the only cure is a new handle (the internal shaft rusts and grows). Worth checking because if the handle is up the lock probably can't engage, otherwise it might just be a stiff mechanism in the lock itself and would respond to lube etc.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Except that I'm sure I have been able in the past to lock and then unlock them when in the car .Need to find another Mondeo owner to check his .

I'll check that

-------------- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

Stuart B gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Did you lock yourself in using the inside lock or the remote?

Reply to
Adrian

Using the door handle on the drivers door .Now I can lock it using that method but it won't unlock that way .I need to use the fob ...

-------------- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

I'll check the handle out .WD 40 here we come .!!!

-------------- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

Stuart B gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Deadlocking shouldn't work on the interior handle. If you think about it, that'd be a great way to find you've locked yourself in inescapably...

Reply to
Adrian

I have a 2000 Focus. I assume they use the same CL system, but may be wrong.

In the case of my Focus you need to press the fob key twice (or put the key to unlock, then lock) to get it to deadlock. You can program the fob to deadlock by default, but it does not deadlock using the handle.

You can lock the car from the inside using the switch on the handle; in fact, I think the UM recommends that you do so for your security. You can then unlock it using the same method.

Except that Fords are dodgy in that respect. Mine now tends to lock itself when it's cold and wet. If I lock it from the driver's handle, I can only unlock it from the passenger's handle (or the fob). And also, the interior light no longer switches on when I switch off the engine, I need to open the door.

So, try to see if you can unlock using the passenger internal handle. Re fixing it, I think it's the controller in the door, but I am not too sure.

HTH,

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

I always lock the doors using the inside handle when driving at night on in dodgy areas. Mondeo MkIII by the way. If I have to leave the car with a female passenger in for a while I get her to press the inside deadlock for her safety. I did once deadlock the doors using the remote key, and came back to a torrent of abuse because the alarm had sounded while I was out of earshot!

Reply to
Gordon H

Tried unlocking using the passenger door inside handle but that didn't work either .:-(

-------------- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

I thought I'd cracked the problem earlier .I put two new batteries in the key fob,went down to the car and tried the fob a few times and all four interior door handles operated ( the n/s rear door one was causing a problem before ) so I sat in the car and locked the doors a couple or three times and all locked and unlocked BUT then they went back to doing what they did before ...locking but not unlocking ..except by my using the fob to unlock so I'm flummoxed ...I'm thinking it's not much that's causing it !!!

-- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

it may just be the switch that sends the signal to lock (the one inside the door) some dirt in it would be enough to stop it working every time.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Question is which door ? I guess this is a case of removing the door card and having a look....is it then visible or do I need to cut the foam that I believe is under the card ? I'll start with the rear door that seems to have the more obvious problem .

-- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

I would guess that only the front doors will have a switch that will send to the others, it would not be usual to have the rears unlock the front.

Reply to
Mrcheerful