1998ish Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec with a problem

Drives fine but on low-speed manoeuvring, particularly reversing, you get an occasional noise from the nearside, somewhere between a clunk and a low-frequency *twang*. It's sitting maybe a couple of inches lower on that side than on the offside. Guess: it's something related to the spring, maybe a broken spring or a failed upper or lower spring seat? Any suggestions? It's a friend's and I only had about 30s to look at it and she wants to know if it's safe to drive until she can get it looked at or not.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

"Vim Fuego" wrote in news:I5gnh.52385$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net:

Sounds like a badly seated or broken spring to me, and if the car is listing, much more likely to be a broken spring. I got away with one in my Pug 205 for a week before I managed to replace it. I'd have it looked at properly soonest.

Reply to
Tunku

The twang would indicate the spring. Don't drive it unless it's to a place for it to be fixed. The spring may be broken, but there's probably enough torsion for it to fail, again, but in a more spectacular way.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

broken spring probably, problem is they can move the broken bit into the tyre, sudden deflation very possible. Other possible is a broken anti roll link, loose bolt etc.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Like wot others have said, broken spring. And to reitterate again, it'll probably be fine but it can easily move and take out a large portion of the tyre. Most people can control a slowish puncture, a tyre that instantly deflates and maybe even disintegrates is a whole new world of trouble.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Even worse, severed brake line.